Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thanksgiving

We had our good friends the Laymans over for Thanksgiving. It was the first Thanksgiving away from family for all of us. We all had fun learning the turkey thing. Melanie L. bought it, Mikey did the giblets, Jake did the neck and I did the rest. I think I got the best part :)
Silly turkeys
We had a baking fest in the kitchen...so fun!
Our amazing helper
Mr. Potato Head :) ...he was in charge of the mash potatoesWe did it! It turned out to be an amazing meal. Not much credit to me. Melanie L. made some incredible homemade stuffing and rolls!Although I was pretty proud of my lattice crust apple pie
Thanks again, Laymans, for sharing this day with us.On Saturday we went up to Durham to enjoy the "Grad student + spouse + children free" Duke vs. UNC football game. Rachel was soooo excited to see Daddy's school. So was I, what a beautiful campus!!Despite the FREEZING temperatures and the fall that gave Rachel a big lip we really enjoyed the game, especially after we got some popcorn :) It was interesting to see how small the stadium was and how it was run. It felt like a high school football game.

Then, at about bedtime we decided to leave. We went back to where we thought we parked the car. After about 15 minutes of looking we weren't in the best situation. Dark, freezing, kids are tired, Rachel refuses to walk, we have no idea where we are...and it starts to rain. Well, the Lord looks out for us. We soon found a police officer who was able to call someone to help us out. We spent the next half hour driving around in the police car. When we finally found it I could have sworn that was not where we parked. It didn't look familiar at all! I don't even want to think about what it would have been like without those police. So for this Thanksgiving season...I'm grateful for police. I actually handled the situation rather well I think. I didn't worry, get stressed out or anything. We both found it quite an adventure.

5 comments:

Patrick Rich said...

Oh honey I'm sorry you guys lost your car. that really stinks. That was also super nice of the policeman to drive you around for 30 minutes! Your Thanksgiving looked fabulous and I loved the matching aprons for you and Rachel.

La said...

What a great turkey day. I love the "silly Turkeys" best. And your pie turned out beautiful.
Very sad that your car tried to run away from you guys. I hated it when that happens.

Herways Go West said...

OK, bring that nice warm snowsuit I saw Rach in in Utah. Do you have it, or is it still in Utah? She will need it here!
Congrats on a great turkey meal. It is hard to pull off. Fun to see Jake's campus. And the car story...just too many things to think about when you have a crew to take care of, to remember where you parked. Maybe somebody did move it! Or stole it and decided it wasn't worth it, so brought it back?

rach said...

fun thanksgiving u are just a little betty home maker! So proud!! That sounds like me every day with my car! I miss ya ! U guys coming out soon?

natalie said...

Oh my gosh. That is crazy that you couldn't find the car... with two little kids in tow no less!
That campus really is pretty.

Blog Archive

Contributors