Monday, December 22, 2008

Our trip thus far

So we arrived in Brussels last Thursday...by a miracle. We showed up to the airport in plenty of time only to learn my ticket was under Herway. My passport says Grossen. (Sound familiar Amy?) The lady at the desk says, "there's a good chance you're not going anywhere today." I almost had a nervous breakdown. Well, once again we had a neighbor pull through for us. Thank goodness we have a neighbor who stays at home, and knows where our spare key is, and is nice enough to take an hour out of his day to drive to and from the airport. He went into our house to retrieve our marriage certificate and we were able to get through in just enough time. The flight wasn't too bad. When they anounced "a little over 6 hours" (from Dulles) I was relieved. For some reason I was thinking 8. Rachel watched WallE and fell asleep. Tommy was a little more difficult but manageable.

This picture was taken at about 11pm. Jet lagged kids...so fun. But, as of last night we're back on track.
A walk in Tervuran Park (not far from Jake's house)
Downtown Brussels
Rachel's first gauffre (Belgian waffle) A Christmas market in Monschau, Germany. Besides being miserably cold and wet it was aaaaaaaaamazing. The quaint German village, with Christmas lights and decorations and the smells...oh, the smells! Of spiced sausage, licorice, bread, apple streusal, etc. What a sensory experience. I loved it!!!
it looks like snow, but it was rain...yuck!

We did another market today, but those pictures will probably have to wait for tomorrow.

6 comments:

La said...

I am glad that you all survived the trip over (it is only six hours over but eight hours back :). The pictures look amazing. I love German Christmas markets. There is nothing else like it. What great trip so far. Eat some pretzel bread for me. yummy. Oh I really need some.

natalie said...

SO glad your flight was not traumatic. haha.
Looks like you guys are having a fun time and doing all the things to put you in a christmasy mood. I never thought of it before but you are so right about the smells at the Christmas markets.

Herways Go West said...

So I'm only commenting b/c you will know that I saw your pics. We sure are having fun. Can you make the time go slower. I'm trying to savor it all but it is zipping!

Melissa said...

That is crazy about the passport.. Glad everything went well and the trip wasn't as long as you anticipated. The pictures look great and looks like you are having a great time!

Cam and Ali said...

OH MY GOSHHHH That looks AMAZING! I bet you guys are having a blast! I am super jealous!!! I want to go to Brussels!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Ahh your trip looks amazing and it looks like you guys have had a beautiful Christmas. I wish ya the best!!!

Blog Archive

Contributors