Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I love Christmas time!

The day after Thanksgiving we went out and got a tree. Rachel calls it the "witch tree." I think she must have heard me or Jake say something like "which tree should we get?" as we were picking one out. She basically decorated it all herself...took the ornaments out of the boxes, hung them on the tree and yes, I had to whip out my Krazy glue again. But at least the tree hasn't fallen on her this year.My experience with Santa at the mall has always been long lines, so that's what I was expecting. We were there picking up some pictures and I told Rachel she might get to see him, but we'll probably just wave hi. Well we found him almost bored to tears...nobody was there! She sat on his lap and talked to him for a good five minutes. She loved his beard that "tickled" and she kept giving him hugs. Last Saturday I had a baby shower for a girl named Mary. Rachel and Tommy had to come with me because Jake had class. When she saw the present and asked where we were going and all of her other questions she came to the conclusion that she was going to see Mary and baby Jesus. When we got there she kept asking "where's Mary?" I pointed to her 5 or 6 times, "she's right there" then out came, "where's baby Jesus?" Well lucky for her we were invited to a "Walk in Bethlehem" by some of our friends and we went to a Methodist church that did the most amazing job of recreating that city and time period. We received shekels when we arrived, had to pay a tax to get in, we saw all the live animals and "shopped" in the market for jewelry, pottery, wine (apple juice), bread...each for a shekel. They had other canopies of carpentry, butchery, baskets, etc. And the merchants would ask, "have you heard of the baby?" and then they would tell us to follow the star. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the inside, it was just incredible! Rachel asked me about a week ago what sound a camel makes and I didn't think they made a sound, so I told her they didn't. Well we found out they do! They are very loud and she does NOT like them.Captivated for a good 15 minutes
Rachel with her new friend Ava, who also turned 3 in October.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh I love how smart Rachel is. Our phone conversation the other day made me chuckle for hours!

Amber said...

Good Times!
I love the picture with Santa!
Merry Christmas :)

Maria said...

Tommy sounds like a camel in that video! Just kidding--that Walk thru Bethlahem sounds great. A good visual for kids to learn the story of Christmas.

La said...

Your picture with Santa turned out so good. What luck! Tommy makes a sweet and gentle Mary. :)

Anonymous said...

I was a little worried for baby Jesus in that video.

natalie said...

The tree hasn't fallen on her... yet! haha. Just kidding. That is so cute that she thought you were going to see baby Jesus.
And how fun that she got to talk to Santa for so long. The picture turned out great.

Heidi said...

I love the baby Jesus story, so cute.

Blog Archive

Contributors