Sunday, January 18, 2015

Bergamo, Italy

We used our sky miles for our flights and therefore didn't get our first preference, which would have been a direct flight.  However there was one option that seemed to make the best of having a layover...Italy!!
Absolutely stunning views.  We were all glued to the window.
With a layover in Milan we debated whether we should do Como (which we have done before) or something new.  We opted to do a town called Bergamo based off of a couple peoples recommendations.  We didn't do a lot of research here either, we kind of just went for it.  We wanted to just have a slow paced enjoyable day to soak it all in.

We happened upon this piazza right off.  I can't remember where Jake went but we hung out here for a while.


Such beautiful buildings.  I was amazed how happy being in Italy makes me.  I just love it's culture and architecture, maybe it's the memories, the food, or just everything about it. 



I can't remember the name of this church or cathedral.  I just remember something about it being the "oldest" 
I loved this wall that had no rhyme or reason to the construction of it
The kids' first gelato.  Coconut, hazelnut and pink (I think it was strawberry)

Now that we got dessert first...time to look for pizza.
There's something really fun and special about sharing things you really love to those you love.  Sadly, I tainted Rachel's opinion of Italian pizza by accidentally ordering pizza with blue cheese on it.  But the others were SO good!!
This one LOVED it.  But there's not many a food she has found that she hasn't liked.
Tommy!  Mother heart attack.  We spent a little time at a local playground
We took a funicular up to the top of the city with lovely views

Potty breaks mean waiting, but a great time for a photo shoot
They were being Italian statues



And of course, more gelato!


Hopefully I don't get in trouble for this one
And this picture kills me.  I had a college roommate that I went to Italy with on a study abroad.  Rachel reminds me of her a lot.  I found Rachel here and it reminded me of the time Kari was doing the very same thing while saying, "I just love Italy!"  I even have a picture of it.
And thus ends our European adventures (for now, although it's going to be harder than ever to get back again, so who knows?).  I'm very grateful for the privilege of having these experiences and memories with our kids.  I know that we are very fortunate.

2 comments:

Ben + Brittany Trujillo said...

I WANT TO GO TO EUROPE!

Herways Go West said...

I love that you said "I love sharing with those I love the things that I love: Italy!" (or close to that). Italy does it for me as well. And you married the right man b/c I think he also loves Italy. (or maybe it's just the gelato?) Bergamo is a little gem isn't it?

Blog Archive

Contributors