Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A New Season of Life

Big news for the Herway family!! Jake received a job offer from Citibank and we have accepted! It is a MBA rotational program for Human Resources. We feel very blessed to have been given this opportunity. Campus recruiting is over, which was making the job search all the more difficult, and frustrating, because he really wanted to utilize his MBA. A friend at church suggested he look into Citi (even though it was a company Jake said he would never work for...but why not) Through networking he contacted the right person who was immediately impressed. The position had already closed but with Jake's investment banking experience, international experience and desire to do HR he was willing to fly him out for an interview and "create" a position for him. Jake is really happy, and really relieved. It's going to be a great start to the career path he wants to take. I'm really proud of him. He has worked extremely hard for this.

So what does this mean? Our world is going to flip upside down. We're starting off in New York City! When Jake first mentioned it I thought, "Yeah right...not going to happen." After all, we already decided 5 years ago (when Jake was interning at Bear Stearns) that New York wasn't the place we wanted to raise our family. That's why we're here in Charlotte. And three kids in NYC?! Crazy! Impossible! But I've gradually come to accept it and am really excited about it. It'll be for one year. You can do anything for just one year, right? And after that we will spend a year somewhere else in the US (TBD) and overseas for 6 months. The job starts July 15, which means the next few months will be a whirlwind as we get our house ready to sell, find a place to live, sell all our stuff, find a new doctor, etc. I really don't even know where to begin.

And of course there's mixed emotions with all of this. My heart strings are already breaking. It's going to be extremely hard to leave Charlotte. I told Jake, before we accepted, that he's going to have to expect tears. I have LOVED living here, I love my house, and we have so many memories here. We have a great ward, wonderful friends, and hard to beat weather! (I've been to NYC in February and I don't think I've ever been so cold in my life!) But CHANGE is what life is all about, and we've been prepared for it.



These are pictures taken last Monday on a street that runs just off of ours. I look forward to these blossoms every year! Bing! (There goes the first heart string)

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Hooray! I think you guys will have a GREAT time, 3 kids in an apartment and ALL! I'm totally jealous. After Seth heard he said, "Maybe we need to do a fellowship in NYC after San Diego". I would LOVE it! AND OVERSEAS?!? Just what you guys have wanted right? I'm very, very excited for you guys! Congrats!

La said...

Congrats!!! Mel, you can do three kids in NYC. If anyone can, you can. Good luck on this new adventure. We are so happy and excited for your family.

Amy said...

We are so excited for you guys and happy that Jake finally found his place. New York is awesome and I'm sure is full of so many neat things for the kids to do. I'm sure you'll have lots of visitors too. Hooray!

Kristen said...

Wait a second...did you just say 3 Kids? Did I totally miss that announcement? I am so going back to look. Congrats! Good luck to you all. I understand the tears, believe me I do, but what a great opportunity for your family!

Herways Go West said...

3 kids in NYC. Can't wait to see it all in action! I'm going to miss Charlotte as well. Love the spring time blossoms. You guys are going to be fun to follow around.....
Oh, it will be easy for you guys to come to the Rehoboth Beach reunion in 2011, that's one benefit!

Jenn said...

Congratulations Jake and Melanie. I am so happy and excited for you.

Tom and Kari Lane said...

Sounds very exciting!!! Congrats Jake. It is great all of us, b/c now we'll have a place to stay in NYC. yeah!!

Colie said...

What comes to mind immediately is a line from You've Got Mail when Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are talking about how much they love New York in the fall. I think you are going to love it too! Rather than going straight to New York in the beginning, I'm glad you guys get the best of both worlds and will be able to live in both Charlotte and New York. What a great experience for your family!

Blog Archive

Contributors