Sunday, October 25, 2009

San Francisco

With Wachovia and Wells Fargo still in its merging process, Jake needed to go to San Francisco for business. We were back and forth on the idea of me joining him for a couple days and two weeks ago we decided to go for it. My mom was already coming out, so we changed her flight to come just a couple days earlier to watch the kids. I'm SO glad we did it. It was so much fun!!!

Jake arrived Monday and I flew by myself on Wednesday. I was definitely out of my element without kids. Plus just a carry on bag, no car seats, strollers...security was a breeze. But the airport is never dull for these Herways. Forgotten passports, missed connecting flights, this time...I left my purse in the car with my mom, with no cell phone. Luckily she noticed before she got too far and it all worked out, but I got pretty worked up. Sigh. It was a long journey across the country but I really enjoyed reading and sleeping, and just not having kids.

I spent the first morning alone with Jake in meetings. As I walked along the financial district it was like deja ju. I was taken back 4 1/2 years ago when I used to walk the streets of New York City while Jake was at work. Anyway, I had the best time going to Pier 39, looking at all the shops, and I stood for several minutes in amazement at these sea lions.
I also enjoyed all the free samples I received from Ghirardelli
I lived in San Jose for 6 years when I was little and my dad would take us to San Francisco about once a year. Unfortunately I don't remember much. One thing I do remember is their amazing sourdough bread. I did a tour of the Boudin Bread factory, got some more delicious free samples and watched the process of how it is made.
My dad had meetings in California, not too far from SF and came to join me. If was fun to go to places that I wanted to see, but couldn't without a car. So we did Lombard Street.
And this, I thinks it's called the painted sisters. Anyone recognize it? Brooke? This one's for you, "What ever happened to predictibility...the milkman, the paper boy, evening TV!"
Then we went to Golden Gate Park and enjoyed the beautiful Japanese tea gardens.
This is a classic shot, eh? This is my dad. The professional photographer. San Francisco is one of his all time favorite cities.
Joined my hubby for sunset on Thursday evening.


Friday morning we did the Redwood Forest. A pretty spectacular place. Our necks were a little sore afterwards :)


Met up with Jake's cousin Cindee, who lives in San Francisco. Or at least did...we barely caught her before she moves. We enjoyed a fabulous lunch with her.
Then we took the trolley to Fisherman's Wharf. Fun fun! Although I think my arm almost got chopped off from another passing trolley car :)

We rented bikes to ride across the bridge over to Sausalito. I made all the steep hills without having to get off my bike. I was quite proud of myself. What a great ride!!

Sausalito. Cute little place with a little European feel to it.
Jake is quite uneasy about the idea of their once being the worst criminals out there on the island of Alcatraz.
Friday night he surprised me by taking me to Wicked. We love it more and more every time we see it! An AMAZING production! We have such fun discussions afterward on the meaning of "good"
It was a jam packed 2 days...I'm totally exhausted. It's a good thing my mom is still here to help me with the kids while Jake is at school this week.

14 comments:

Maria said...

What an awesome trip! My question: if that was deja vu, does that mean you are pregnant and anemic walking those streets?

Anonymous said...

Full House is the best. I remember when I went to San Francisco our tour bus driver made a stop to see the house where the Tanner's lived, I thought I was going to die, I was in heaven.
"Everywhere you look...ba da da dow dow dow...du du du."
I love you Uncle Jesse!
P.S. Mel, I'm so proud of you knowing the words to Full House!

Kristen said...

So amazing! I love that you saw the Full House house! Someday Ry and I will go somewhere sans kids. You have made me recommit to that.

kenders said...

What a great trip! I am also a fan of the business trip with the hubby!

I miss my neck of the woods. I guess that I forgot u lived there for 6 years. What school did u go to?

Colie said...

All photos = heart-stoppers. You could spend a lifetime in San Francisco it seems! The photo of the bread just warmed my soul. Random but true. Plus, Wicked? Your husband rocks!

La said...

WOW! you did all that in two days??? Jake has really made you into a Herway traveler. Or maybe you all ready were. Either way. WooHoo! for you! Side note: I love your hair short. You look way cute.

natalie said...

Awesome two days alone with jake and alone with yourself! I LOVE San Francisco. You are making me wonder if we made the right decision choosing Austin over SF. (those were our choices when Noel got hired). I guess we wouldn't really be able to afford to live right in SF and so we'd barely ever go to all those places. Right? RIGHT? aaaaaaah

ps. Full House rocks!

Heidi said...

1) I can't believe you did ALL that in just two days. 2) Jake totally rocks for getting those tickets 3) Full House was the best show ever invented 4) Good for you guys to go on such a fun getaway together!

Nicole said...

you guys get to go the coolest places! cant believe rachel is 4-- i remember well going to "playgroup" when she was a newborn and colicky. how fast time flies!

Amy said...

Love San Fran so much! I am happy you got to go back after such a long time away. It is super fun there. And I am convinced that Dan and I need to go somewhere or do something exciting without Jack someday soon!

Herways Go West said...

I'm with Heidi. You packed it in! And let's not forget a high five to Grandma Grossen for holding the fort. Glad you opted to go for it. Certainly worth it!

AM said...

oh my goah what a blast!! i'm so glad you got to do something with your sweetheart!

Brittany said...

So jealous! I want to go there. And I want to go see Wicked again. I'm glad mom was able to fly out earlier so you could have a little get away. It sure sounds like you had a blast!

nd said...

so i'm not quite sure how you were able to squeeze all those fun activities into two days! you guys are amazing. looks like so much fun. loved the full house shout out! plane, no kiddies, husband in waiting...there's no better vacation plan! can't wait for the next one right?!
noelle

Blog Archive

Contributors