Monday, October 19, 2009

Rachel is 4

Rachel's favorite color is pink, and one of her favorite books right now is Pinkalicious. My sister-in-law gave me the idea to do Pinkalicious party. For those who had not read the book it is about a girl who makes pink cupcakes with her mother on a rainy day. She eats them and turns pink, and thinks she's beautiful. Her mother takes her to the doctor, who diagnoses her with pinkitis and tells her she needs to eat a steady diet of green food. She pretends to eat her vegetables that night, then sneaks another cupcake and turns red. She finally gets the courage to eat her greens and returns to her normal beautiful self.We started the party reading the book, and the rest of the party followed the book.We decorated pink cupcakes, ate them...and turned pink!
The girls (Ava, Ellie, Evy, Rian, Claire and Layne) all came dressed in pink.After Pinkalicious turns pink she puts on her princess dress and "twirled in front of the mirror." Being the dancer that I am, I made the girls ribbons and had them "twirl" around the room to songs from "Pinkalicious the Musical" (Yes, it is a musical...I found out last Thursday). I told the girls they were magic wands and they were to make the whole room pink.After playing around out back they came inside to eat a green lunch so they could turn back to normal before they went home. We had pesto pasta, green chips with avocado, green apples, pears, kiwi, green grapes, cucumbers, and broccoli with cilantro dressing.The "brothers" were green with envyIt was a big hit...I think. Rachel sure had a lot of fun!


This is Rachel later that day ready to go outside with fancy shoes, her ballet skirt, and a life jacket. It's just so Rachel.
Saturday was her actual birthday. We had waffles for breakfast and we went to another free fall festival. Sadly I forgot my camera. She got a free pumpkin, bounced on inflatables, played games and did a hayride. It was fun but freezing. It may have been only 55 degrees, but it really was FREEZING.

We came home and when Tommy woke up from his nap she got to open her presents. Was she excited?
Only Rachel would take a break from opening her presents to read a book. (I don't know, maybe other kids do it)

One of her big presents was an art easle with chalkboard, white erase board and paper to paint. It's very fitting for her because she's very into these things right now. She's always doodling on printer paper, post-it notes, my journal, notebooks, programs, anything she can find.
Tommy loves it too and it has already provided hours of entertainment in the few days we've had it.
Cleaning up...too cute!
World's Greatest 4 year old. Last year we took Rachel to Red Robin and had such a great time we decided to do it again this year.
This kid loves balloons. Really, loves balloons. The past couple of days he's either been holding one or looking up because he let go. He even fell asleep Saturday night still holding on to one.

It's true, as we mother's always say, it's hard to believe she's 4. But what's harder for me to believe is that she will be 5 in a year. She misses the cutoff date for Kindergarten by 3 months here in Charlotte, so I consider myself lucky to have her around for a couple more years. She can be a pain sometimes but she's a really fun, very energetic, sweet and sensitive girl.

12 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh I LOVE it! She's so cute and has such a cute creative mama! Oh and Carter gets distracted opening presents sometimes too!

Maria said...

What a great party. So fun and I am sure memorable for Rach.

By the way, I love Tommy's curls!

Brittany said...

Mel you always throw the greatest parties. Wish I could have been there for her 4th Birthday! It seems like yesterday that we were there for her 1st. I was going to call and wish her a happy birthday, but was at work then forgot. Sorry. I will call soon!

AM said...

what a fun mom you are!

Anonymous said...

That looked like it was a really cute party. How creative. I remember at Brittany's wedding Tommy was carrying that pink balloon all over the place. What cuties.

Melissa said...

What an awesome party! You are so creative and had such cute ideas. Glad everything went well. Miss you guys, we are flying back tomorrow.

Happy B-day Rachel!

Colie said...

Those boys actually did look green with envy! Rachie told me your favorite color was yellow, so she'll have to plan a yellowlishous party for you. Yellowlishous? I guess that makes sense...

Amy said...

I think you can include Jack in the list of children who would pause from opening their presents to read a book. Him and Rachie are cut from the same cloth when it comes to story time. Love you guys and can't wait to see you in 2 short months!

Jess and Matt said...

oh what a fun and creative birthday party! WOw, she is 4! That is so crazy to me. What a cute little girl she is. I love that easle, we have it too, and Kaden spends HOURS drawing and painting on it.

La said...

Wow. Her party turned out so great!! You really took that to the next level. And Rach and Daph are for sure cousins. Books and art projects are still what Daphne loves most and she has stop doing all kinds of things (including opening presents) to read a book.

Herways Go West said...

Looks like a perfect birthday celebration. And Tommy with his brown eyes and blonde hair...now I see Jake!

rach said...

NO WAY YOU HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD THAT IS SO CRAZY !SHE IS SO DANG CUTE AND YOUR LITTLEMAN IS SUCH A STUD! I MISS YOU LITTLE MEL! HOPE ALL IS WELL!

Blog Archive

Contributors