Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Weekend in the Mountains

We just had one of the best weekends ever!! I have been wanting to see our mountains with all the fall colors for a long time. We planned to go see our good friends the Van Brederode's (who moved there in the spring) over Columbus Day weekend. About a week ago I talked to Darcie on the phone and she said the leaves hadn't changed much...so we were pleasantly surprised! It was incredible!!

We arrived Saturday afternoon and went on a hike to a peak that was suppose to have a 360 panoramic view, but it was too foggy and rainy. We enjoyed going out to eat at local southern diner with Rob and Darcie that night and catching up.

Rachel's reunited!Views from the Van Brederode home

Sunday we had gorgeous weather! We took advantage of it by driving around and taking lots of pictures. I also really enjoyed church that was a little "deerfront." We were welcomed so much that they were doing their best to convince us to move here.
We had a full day on Monday. We started off gem mining, which was a lot of fun. Rachel loved searching for the colorful jewels. And the scenery was amazing.


We then went to an apple orchard. It was pretty foggy yesterday so we missed out on the views from the orchard and it started to rain too. We did manage to barely fill two "pecks" of apples.
This was one of my favorite views of the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was just SO much color. WOW!
We were all wet, cold, and hungry. We found Louise's Restaraunt. Don't you just love that name? Chicken pot pie, corn chowder, mashed potatoes, baked apples, barbequed pork, biscuits, and homemade pie. Perfect southern country comfort food! I was more stuffed than a turkey!

This is Linville Falls. We had to purchase rain coats and as soon as we got them on, it stopped. As we totally expected. But it's good we still had them, with all the water that was dripping off the trees. Plus, I thought my "Poncho Princess" was rather cute!
Just beautiful!!! I only took 200 pictures. So I had to put them in a video. It may be a tad long but it was hard to narrow down. It was all too picturesque!

8 comments:

Colie said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous. Of all the pictures, I love the one of Rachel Herway hugging Rachel VB. Rachie has so much love for people!

La said...

WOW. How far is that from your house? Those pictures were beautiful. Good choice of song, that place does look like West Virginia. Brauer and I watched the montage three times and he sat perfectly still and stared at the screen. I think maybe B and TomTom have a special cousin connection.
(and I totally understand the private blogs/reader thing. It is the only thing I hate about being private.)

Amy said...

I love where you live! We need to come see you all sometime soon. And how is it possible that Tommy fell asleep in that backpack. So cute!

Maria said...

So jealous! It looks beautiful too. And I bet its not 30 degrees there today...

I love all the pictures--both Rachels look so grown up!

natalie said...

Beautiful! Love those fall colors. My favorite pic is Tommy totally conked out on Jake's back. hahaha

Amber said...

Beautiful pictures!

Herways Go West said...

I guess it was the music or something, but I got kind of homesick for West Virginia! But you were in NC, right?? Anyway, it was gorgeous. Looks like tons of fun. Buy the raincoats and it stops raining, always a surefire bet, huh? (Don't buy the snow jacket and it will snow and vica versa!)

Darcie said...

You got some incredible pictures! I haven't taken any pictures since we moved here. I guess I've been too busy unpacking. But I'll have to get the camera out and drive around taking pictures! Can't wait for the next visit!

Blog Archive

Contributors