Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Eve

We had to fit in as much as we could before the year ended :) To start the day we went to Brugge. A city just an hour away from Brussels and such a neat, quaint, European town. I've actually been here a couple times and I love it just as much every time I go.They had a ice sculpture festival that was absolutely phenomenal! The whole place ice! Walls and everything. I just can't fathom how they do it, the details and everything.
It's a good thing they had princesses. Rachel wasn't too happy about how cold it was in there. It was even colder than it was outside, which I didn't think was possible.I love how the walls are so clear you can see through them.
And that's Grammie coming down the ice castle slide.That evening Jake, Rachel and I went out to eat at Domus, a Herway family tradition.
Rachel has had a bit of a rough time with jet lag, not a single nap (or quiet time) in over two weeks, staying up late...it's made he quite ornery. But she was such a happy, well behaved girl last night and she was soooo excited to have Daddy and Mommy all to herself. As we walked to the restaurant she sang songs, and told stories. The cold didn't seem to bother her. We had a great time! To finish the day off we saw a spectacular firework show in Antwerp
Today Jake and I took a walk and I was saying how amazing it is to look back on all that has happened in 2008 and to think about how much will and can happen in 2009. It's going to be quite a year. Jake goes to Shanghai, India and Brussels (again) for school. A couple trips to Utah, a cruise, our 5 year anniversary. And it'll be interesting to see what happens with Wachovia, I mean Wells Fargo. Will Jake's job stick, and if it does, will his role change, will he like it?? Well, here we go...Happy New Year everyone!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Your trip looks so awesome! I am sure it is busy but you are getting so many good memories in the process. We miss you guys! Sounds like 2009 will be a busy year!

Anna-Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, you guys will be married for 5 years in April! Holy cow, time flies! The ice castle looks so cool, wish I could see it. I hope that Rachel gets back on schedule soon!

Herways Go West said...

It was a great time with all of you here. Super way to end 2008. Hope your 2009 is manageable. Torpedo packed. It sure is quiet here :)...sigh!

Kristen said...

Those ice sculptures look awesome! The cold would be the downside though. What a fun trip!

Meredith said...

What a trip! I'm so jealous! :) I certainly didn't live in Brussels as long as Jake did, but it sure makes me homesick looking at your pics. Good luck with the coming year--it looks like you have quite the line-up of events.

Blog Archive

Contributors