Thursday, November 29, 2012

Trick-or-treat

 I feel so behind, but then again this did feel like yesterday.  Our trick-or-treating this year was on November 4 due to the hurricane, which was weird at first but when everyone was out and about that night it seemed to work out alright.  It was cold that night but I made the kids keep their coats off for a quick picture.  I think it turned out great (despite it being on my phone because my camera is in repair for the third time this year).
They all decided at the end of summer what they wanted to be, and they didn't change their minds.  Rachel made a fabulous pirate, and Kate worked out perfect and easy using Rachel's old Minnie Mouse costume.  Such a cutie!  When Tommy told me he wanted to be an elf, I held off thinking (and hoping) he'd change his mind and be something easy like a superhero instead.  But he was telling everybody he wanted to be an elf, and not just any elf...the elf from the movie Prep and Landing.  It's true it is not well known, but if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it!!  It's a really cute short Christmas movie that my kids are obsessed with.
So, with careful studying of the costume, a few trips to the fabric store and a couple experiments that didn't work out, I ended up with a pretty good costume.  It was all worth it!!  Tommy LOVES his elf costume.  He was so excited to show it off to Daddy's work friends and couldn't wait to wear it again.  He got good use out of it and even wears it as pajamas sometimes.  The great thing is that he can still get use out of it and he really thinks (and is super excited about) helping out Santa this year.
I did not make Jake's costume.  He borrowed it from a co-worker and surprised Tommy with it that night.  Melted. My. Heart.  What a dynamic duo!  We had a great night.  It was cute watching Kate get the hang of it, at first walking right in to all the houses and then walking up and saying "thank you" when the door opened. 

7 comments:

Maria said...

Holy Smokes! I can't believe you made Tommy's costume. It looks amazing! And I have very fond memories of that Minnie costume... as does Andrew!

La said...

I love your two little elves. Darling boys.

The Bawden's said...

Oh my goodness, can Tommy get any more adorable? I love that boy to pieces! Great job on the costume, you've got some mad sewing skills.

Mortar and Pestle Mom said...

LOVE that picture of the three of them. And, I agree, great elf costume :)

Amy said...

Tommy's costume is amazing! Wish you lived closer so you could motivate me to sew my own. I love that all the little girls were Minnie this Halloween.

Herways Go West said...

So you have done it again. The amazing Mel. Your kids can't appreciate your skills, patience, and downright sacrifices, but I see it all. You are amazing.

Colie said...

Awww...you're such a good mom & Jake's such a good dad. Tommy is so cute when he gets excited about something. Love his little excited facial expression.

Blog Archive

Contributors