Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow...

Or not for another hour. Eating breakfast in their room so me and Katelyn can keep sleeping.
Or not for another week. It was rainy all last week...and will be all this week. Rainy days are a whole different story when you don't have a car. I need to get some rain gear too, and as soon as I do it won't rain for months.So we've had some pretty lazy days...and crazy days.
By the way, Baby Kate is a month old....unbelievable! 9 lbs 14 oz. 22 inches long.Jake and I got out for a quick date night Thursday while the kids had a little party at the day care at Daddy's work. We went to a fun Spanish restaurant and then got doughnuts for dessert.Then on Saturday night we took our first trip to the Emergency Room. I knew the day would eventually come and I wasn't sure how I was going to handle it. So how did I do? I was a little frantic. Trying to clean and stop the blood and trying to decide if we really needed to go, what to do with Tommy and Katelyn (Jake just left for Priesthood). It was just before bedtime. Tommy was riding his motorcycle and Rachel was using the plastic play kitchen bench as her motorcycle. As she was scooting it around it must have got caught from underneath her and she face planted on the hard wood floor, hitting her chin. We headed out about a quarter to 8:00 in a taxi to the hospital. Luckily a friend named Allison had stopped by with a gift and was willing to forfeit her plans for the evening to put Tommy to bed. We waited quite some time in the waiting room...typical right? We were admitted and given a numbing cream that would take an hour to take affect. Rachel was well taken care of though. She was given a teddy bear and a bag full of things to do, coloring books, card games, wiki stix...you should have seen how happy she was to learn that she got to take it all home. It was amazing to see her determination in coloring when they gave her the medicine to help her be a little out of it. She was definitely out of it, but kept on coloring. She ended up getting 7 stitches. It was not an easy thing for a mother to watch as they tied her down to the table and stitched her up with her yelling for them to stop, despite the numbing and valium. She was a trooper though. I think the hardest thing for her was being so tired. She kept telling me that she didn't want to stay up late. We finally got home just after midnight. And I was told it was a slow night.
She was smiling and her usual self again on Sunday...Tommy actually acted more tired than she did.

10 comments:

Maria said...

Sounds like you did great with the ER. 3 kids and no husband--I would panic at first too.

We are rainy rainy too. I don't mind except that my kids are so stir crazy.

La said...

Oh. And it begins...

Well, I had stitches in my chin when I was 5, too! So me and Rach are twiners.

I love the pictures of the kids eating breakfast and the cute close up of baby Kate. She is a doll-face.

Kristen said...

Well Mel, I've told you many times and I'm sure I'll tell you many more, but you are AMAZING! Your kids are adorable. Also, I love your view from your apartment.

Melissa said...

Poor Rach.. so sorry about that. You are a trooper for handling that so well. My kids always injure themselves when Tim is on call or working late.

I love the view from your apartment!

Colie said...

I'm glad everything went well with Rachie's first ER encounter, that Tommy loves to snuggle with Kate, that Jake is so excited for donuts, and that the sunrise is so gorgeous from your apartment.

Herways Go West said...

thanks mel for the update on Rach. Scary. Glad she is doing well. Glad you handled it so well. Glad Allison was there! Kate looks so darn cute! And once again, you have a fab view from your apartment....

natalie said...

Poor little Rachel. I think I would have cried while she was getting her stitches in.
I love that Katelyn has the same look as the rest of your kids. What a cutie. She fits right in!
That is great that you guys were able to have a date night. Those are the best.

Heidi said...

5 years and 3 kids and only your first ER visit?! Not bad! Poor Rach. I hope she's back to feeling as good as new.

I love all the pictures. Rachel's rain outfit is adorable and I really want to hold cute little Kate.

Becca said...

I finally found your new blog! Yay! I lost the link you sent me, so I'm glad to finally have a "Herway update". We miss you guys! Looks like you're having fun. Sorry to hear about Rachel's E.R. visit, glad she's o.k. now. Your little Kate is adorable!!!

Amy said...

Rachie in her rain gear is so cute! How nice to go on a little date...someday we'll get there. Can't wait to talk on Sunday.

Blog Archive

Contributors