Monday, October 18, 2010

Rachel's "Already 5"

Rachel's birthday...an event that has been anticipated all year long. I was nervous about meeting expectations. I wanted to make it as special as she has hoped for, and in the end I think she had a very memorable birthday. We celebrated it all weekend long...

Friday
Her teacher lets parents come in for one "period" the week of their child's birthday to bring cupcakes, read a story and do an activity. Rachel requested Hello Kitty cupcakes. I'm happy with the way they turned out and that I was able to finish in time. I put the last whiskers on, the minute I needed to leave. They were a big hit.Jake was able to slip away from work to come read the story, "Giraffes Can't Dance."
Rachel wore this hat the entire day.
After eating cupcakes the teacher pulled out all her board gamesOn the way home from school she says, "in 5 weeks I'll be 10!" I corrected her and said years and then it hit me that in the same amount of time I will be the mother of a 10 year old. That's a really crazy thought!

Saturday
We wanted to take Rachel out to a restaurant, just her, Mommy and Daddy (and Kate) and I was planning on going to one nearby but at the last minute we decided to head to the Upper West Side to a place called Alice's Tea Cup. Such a fun place, with delicious sandwiches, scones, cookies and herbal tea :). It was so much more special than any random restaurant and I was SO happy we went.
Alice

Yesterday was her actual birthday. She gave a talk in Primary about how sharing the gospel helps others to come unto Christ. She even wrote part of it herself. She waited so patiently all morning, all through church, and Tommy's nap (well, patience was wearing thin at that point) to open her presents. She ripped through all of them in a minute flat.
Her request for dinner was "green spaghetti" (pesto) and a Strawberry Shortcake cake. I know she wanted the character, but a vanilla cake with strawberries was the best I could do.
In Rachel's mind one doesn't get older until after they eat the cake. Not sure where she got that idea, but it was so funny to see her take a bite and say, "Am I 5 now?!" and then she got so giddy talking about how she's taller and everything.
The Falimy
And now, I could go on and on about all the things I love about this lady, but I'm getting tired. But I will say she is one cute, silly, smart, thoughtful, creative, artistic girl. I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful daughter!

11 comments:

Herways Go West said...

A beautiful tribute for Rach....she couldn't have had a more perfect birthday! And I LOVE the idea that you aren't actually your birthday age until you eat the cake. A new tradition for sure!
I also find it commendable that the teacher at school allows so much celebration in her classroom. Some don't you know, so Rach was lucky.

Herways Go West said...

Oh, and the Hello Kitty cupcakes...amazing. And the strawberry cake...amazing. And Mel.....amazing.

Amy said...

So great! I was reminiscing on your blog yesterday and can't believe how fast time goes. Wasn't it just yesterday that we came to see you guys in Charlotte? I'm feeling sentimental!

Maria said...

I love the cupcakes and that tea party dinner looked so fun. I also can't believe she is 5. Remember when she and Andrew were just little babies laying on the rug in our little Charlotte apartments? Crazy how fast it goes.

La said...

I will soon have a 9 year old. It does go by entirely too fast. I loved all the b-day celebrations. I am sure that Rach was pleased as punch.

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday Rachel! Her party looked fun, amazing cupcakes and awesome tea cup restaurant!

Heidi said...

What a great, special 5th birthday! Your cupcakes were darling. NYC sounds like a great place for a 5 year old to celebrate her birthday...Alice's Tea Party?! That's awesome!

Anna-Lisa said...

I know I've said it before but you guys are the BEST parents! Cute cupcakes and total props to Jake for being able to come and read the story to her kindergarten class!

natalie said...

Happy Birthday Rachel! Did you get our voice mail?
Bryn was in love with this post. The Hello Kitty cupcakes turned out great and that tea party restaurant looks so CUTE. My girls would love it.
Also how adorable is my brother taking time during the day to go read a book at school? Aw, what a good dad.

Colie said...

So creative! I think RachieRoo gets it from you. :)

Ben + Brittany Trujillo said...

Great job on those cupcakes Mel! They look great! You and Amy are great at making cute birthday cakes/cupcakes! Rachel had a great birthday weekend! Love you all!

Blog Archive

Contributors