Saturday, September 4, 2010

"Labor Day" Weekend

KATELYN ANN IS FINALLY HERE!!! It may have only been 5 days, but when you're expecting to go early...everyday was an eternity. I was scheduled to be induced Friday morning, and I was not happy about it. I really wanted to go in on my own as I have for the other 2. But, in the end it turned out to be okay. I was super anxious about traffic, a fast labor, not getting to the hospital in time, and not being able to handle the pain. But our appointment was before rush hour, I got my epidural as soon as the pitocin got started and it went pretty good from there. I did end up having a "hot spot" where the epidural did not work and the pitocin was making my contractions back to back. I was in constant excruciating pain for about 1/2 hour until they turned down the pitocin and gave me another dose of epidural. The best part was 3 pushes and she was here...
7 lbs. 14 oz. (same as Rachel) and 20 inches long

Rachel and Tommy were SO excited to come visit her in the hospital!!


We came home yesterday afternoon. I would have stayed through this morning but I couldn't do the shared room another night. The phone calls till 1am and the snoring made for a sleepless night...along with a newborn baby :)

She is such a GOOD baby and has brought so much joy to our family already. Rachel and Tommy can't get enough of baby Kate, they want to hold her, squeeze her, change her diaper, clobber her.

20 comments:

Maria said...

Awesome! She looks cute and I am glad it all went as smoothly as possible. The picture with Rachel and Kate is so cute. Tommy looks like he is trying to figure her out.

Hannah Stayner said...

she is soooo cute! Mel, you look great! I think she looks a little bit like your dad :)

Heidi said...

Hey this is Grammie and Pop! Congratulations! She fits into the family perfectly. She is beautiful...and I'm glad she is good. Thanks for the pictures and update. Now onto real life with a newborn and a small apartment. What an adventure!

Heidi said...

I've been checking your blog multiple times a day waiting for a picture of Kate! She looks just like your other babies...beautiful!

Rachie looks so excited to be a big sister to a baby girl and Tommy looks unsure. :)

Congrats on Kate! She's a doll!

Heidi said...

p.s. I love that she went home in a cab! A city girl already!

{Frances} said...

I cant believe she is actually here!! Im very excited to meet her. Glad everything went as smooth as it did for you!

Love
Frances

Melissa said...

I am so glad she is finally here! She looks like your other kids. I am excited for your family! Glad everything went ok. That is crazy you had to share a room.

Katie said...

Congratulations Melanie and Jake! She is so beautiful! She was apparently determined to have a September birthday but I'm so glad she arrived and in good fashion. I wish we could meet her in person! We miss you guys and we are thinking of you!

S LANSING said...

Congratulations to all the Herways! Hugs from the Lansings

Anna-Lisa said...

Congratulations!!! She's darling.

Colie said...

Love the shot of Rachie snuggling up to Kate! Plus, how funny that she was born on Labor Day weekend. :)

Heidi said...

This is Seth (Herway). Congratulations and many happy returns.

Amy said...

So cute! I miss you guys! It has been too long. Glad it worked out that you had a week to play with Alyson and week for her to help with everything. I think it was perfect timing!

La said...

She is Beautiful!!!!

Kristen said...

Oh congrats you two! She's adorable and I can't wait to hear about little miss in the city!

Rachel said...

So small for being 5 days overdue! I am glad everything went well. We are thinking about you and your family, and are anxious to meet little katelyn!

Tom and Kari Lane said...

so cute! congrats

natalie said...

Congratulations! My favorite pictures are the ones of rachel & tommy holing Katelyn. Also her bedding is really cute! I love that you took her home in a taxi. Perfect!

Allison and Noah Riley said...

Beautiful! Welcome, little Kate! Adorable pictures of Kate with Tommy and Rachel! Such a sweet family.

K-Cos said...

She is beautifully perfect!! Congrats, Herways!

Blog Archive

Contributors