Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ebenezer Scrooge

For Labor Day, we went camping. Now I bet a lot of you are thinking, "they're crazy to go camping with two small kids." We know, but we both like camping, we've had the gear for years and basically have never used it, and we thought it would be worth the risk. I had my expectations prepared from the beginning.

We chose a place nearby (in case...) called Ebenezer Park because of the swimming access of the lake, which Rachel loved! We had a pretty successful evening, depite the trouble with starting a fire and it feeling like 100 degrees. But we were having roasted hot dogs for dinner, and what is camping without fire and some marshmallows. Afterwards we barely escaped the rainstorm and Rachel and Tommy finally crashed to me singing lullabies. Tommy only woke up twice. Each time he did I was so grateful for having woke up, cause it meant that I slept. Like I said, I was preparing for the worst, and it took a while to fall asleep with the rain and our neighbors chopping wood till 3am. Come on guys, it was raining for goodness sake!!

At breakfast Jake gave the experience an 8 out of 10. That is until Rachel ended up having quite a fit over every little thing that morning. Even still, I think we all had fun.


Lake Wylie


Notice the sweat?

16 comments:

AndersenFamily said...

Hey Melanie! I found your blog, so fun to see what you guys are up to. I love that you guys went camping, we have been trying to go this summer but haven't made it, yet.

Anonymous said...

What a successful outing! My sister-in-law and her family went camping one night...one hour of sleep!!! You are very fortunate. And of course you have to have marshmallows, not so sure about the hot dogs though...

Kristen said...

Yeah you know how much a fan of camping I am (NOT). I have convinced Ry and Carter that it is a father-son activity. I don't know what we will do if we ever have girls and I have to rethink that. I am glad you guys had fun though.

Melissa said...

What a fun trip! You guys are troopers for camping, but looked so fun.

natalie said...

How very brave of you. I'm glad you had fun. You even got a pretty good family picture. Very impressive.
I'd say your kids did pretty good! Our tent has a divider so we were able to put bryn in her own "room" but she still woke up a couple times.

La said...

What fun! My kids love to sleep in the tent.

Anna-Lisa said...

Fun guys! Good for you for going camping! Sorry it's so bazing hot though. At least you had the lake.

Maria said...

I am so jealous! I really wanted to go this summer but Dave is less into it and we just never made the time. That and our tent barely fit the 3 of us last summer so with 4 it would be tight. You have inspired me though and I convinced Dave we are getting a giant tent and going a whole bunch next summer!

Maria said...

PS This sounds like our exact experience last summer. SOOO hot but you still have to do the fire to get the whole effect of it. And nothing beats smores on a real fire.

Heidi said...

Good for you guys for trying it! It's a feat to even get myself and Seth all set up for camping!

Herways Go West said...

Bravo. Proud of you! Love the family picture. Amazing! It takes so much planning and energy. Really, job well done!

rach said...

Serious good times guys!! That is how memories are made right!!!! Oh i cant wait to see you guys i am counting down the days!!!!!!!He is getting so big i cant handle it mine is right behind yours!! wow that is crazy love ya girly!!

Nicole said...

i'm jealous! i really wanted to go the camping thing, but never happened. can you believe we've both got 2 kids?? thanks for the photos.

Eryn said...

Hey Mel, looks like fun. We are planning on going camping this Wednesday night for a one nighter and I feel the same way...am I crazy to do this? So much work and two little kids. I'm glad you said it went well. I do want to get together when you are out in Oct! Schedule me in! Will jake be out too?

Mindy said...

We're hardly brave enough to go camping by ourselves! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Charie and Jonathan Francom said...

I am impressed!!! I love camping...especailly with kids. Not sure about it here in the humid summer months though. I was miserable at the park the other day and there was no relief.

love the pictures of sweating :)

Blog Archive

Contributors