Friday, February 22, 2013

Skiing!

Even with a "shortened" winter break (because of Sandy) we still had a long enough weekend to justify going up to Boston to stay with our friends.  On Saturday the husbands took the big kids 2 hours north to New Hampshire to go skiing. 

Rachel and Andrew were "two peas in a pod" and really enjoyed skiing together while Jake and Dave took care of the younger ones.  
Originally, Jake was just going to take Rachel.  With how much he likes to fall down, we didn't think he would last that long.  Rachel only lasted an hour her first time.  But when we learned that rentals, lift pass, tubing, and roasting marshmallows was included in one amazing price...we figured why not, there was enough activities for him to take a break, if he needed, and have fun.
 
 Before they left he asked me how fast he would go.  I took that to mean that he was a little nervous and I told him he could go as slow or as fast as he wanted with putting his skis in a pizza.
 I got a text from Jake a few hours into it saying that he was fearless and reckless.  He defied all of our expectations!  He wanted so badly to be good enough to ride the ski lift and do the green, but Jake wasn't going to let him until he learned to turn and stop.  He was so determined, he asked every time he got to the bottom...he didn't even stop to eat dinner.  He had an absolute blast.  It made me so happy!

They had a great time tubing as well.  We were fully expecting to get a phone call after dinner time telling us they were tired and coming home.  They started at 3pm and went strong until it closed...10:00.  I was even told that they had to tear Tommy off the mountain because he DID NOT want to leave.  Crazy boy! 
 It was so heartbreaking to watch Katelyn get her snow clothes on because she saw the big kids getting dressed and then cry because she wasn't going in the car with them.  I tried to make her feel better by taking her outside to play.  We made snow angels and a tiny snowman.  I know there's a lot of snow, but only the top inch was workable.  She calmed down pretty quickly and had fun.  She really wanted frosty to have a hat.
We had a really enjoyable quiet day with the babes.  We played play dough, watched a movie, played dress up, and read lots of books.

 On our way up to Boston we saw a Billboard advertizing this Pez museum.  We figured we'd do it on the way back.  It was small but perfect for a short pit stop to break up the driving.  (The kids never even asked for a movie!) 
 It was fun to learn some of the history and fun facts.

 It is where they actually manufacture all the pez candy.  We learned that you can take a tour through the factory if you call ahead in advance, but you can see a little bit from the windows.
 Part of the small admission price can go toward merchandise.  So all the kids got to pick out the pez they wanted.
 Rachel chose a replica of the very first dispenser that was created.

 A perfect weekend!  Thanks Miles!!




10 comments:

The Bawden's said...

Oh my gosh, I love that boy and his personality. I hope I have a boy just like him some day. Your kids have had much better experiences with first time skiing than you did...ha ha. Poor Kate, it is no fun to see your older siblings go off to do something fun.

Amy said...

Oh I'm so glad he had such a fun time. We have been debating whether to take Jack or not. Glad you got to have a little getaway. And how fun to stop at the PEZ museum. I really love Rachie's excited face over her V-day gifts in the previous post. And I'm glad you guys make the most of the snow. It just makes me want to stay inside in a blanket!

Heidi said...

Way to go Tommy!! That's awesome!!

Herways Go West said...

I liked the video when Jake said, "make a pizza and turn sideways" and Tommy flies past saying "whyyyyyyy?"
Guess he found his sports love. Snow is worth the trouble when you can ski!

Patrick Rich said...

That sounds like fun. I can't wait til my kids are old enough to ski.....wait, I can't wait until I can start skiing again too!

Melissa said...

Love your new posts. My friend is a huge PEZ collector. I'm passing along this blog post to her because she had no idea there was a museum.. :)

Melissa

La said...

I so wish that Tommy and Brau could ski together. I miss you guys! I can't wait until May!!

natalie said...

Oh my gosh! I love the pics of your kids skiing. Tommy's face is classic. So cute!!
My girls were looking at this and they thought Kate was about the cutest thing they've ever seen. They are so excited to play with your kids.

Maria said...

So fun, all of it. We took Emmy skiing again the next week and she was going off jumps! I guess they both have some crazy in them.

Love the Pez too!

Colie said...

Such cute lil' skiers! I bet your dad's heart is just so proud of his skiing grandkids. :)

Blog Archive

Contributors