Monday, June 11, 2012

Memorial Day Getaway

With Grandma, our best (and free) babysitter in town we had to take advantage.  Jake and I did an overnight day trip to...we'll just say northern New Jersey, because I'm really not sure where we were.  I must say we are pretty bad at planning ahead.  We had the hardest time deciding where to go.  Granted, we were also waiting to see what this crazy spring weather had in store for us.  But, sometimes the last minutes spontaneousness are the best trips. 

We stayed at a fun bed and breakfast, drank soda and watched tv (things we almost never do) and then woke up the next morning an hour before breakfast to fit in a run.  Then we get lost, REALLY lost.  What was supposed to be a 2 mile run ended up being about 8.  I don't think I've ever run that far and I'm not used to running hills.  I probably would have stopped and walked, I was so exhausted, but I didn't want to miss breakfast!  They still cooked for us...late and very sweaty.

Afterwards we went horseback riding, inspired by a recent trip to a local farm.  Great fun!

 Lunch at the Chatterbox diner.  Great place...terrible food.
 From a brochure at the bed and breakfast I read about High Point State Park, which is the highest point in New Jersey.  From the top of the memorial tower up there you can see the 3 states of New Jersey, New York and Pennsylania.  We hiked the Appalachian trail to get there.  Hiking in New Jersey?!  Who knew, right?!  Once again we were on a time crunch to get to the memorial before it closed.  My legs have not been that tired in a long time.  On our way back we weren't seeing anything familiar, luckily we ran into someone.  He was headed to Maine!  He helped point us back in the right direction, thank goodness!

 Memorial Day was also a big day for us because of the opening of our community pool.  We've never had access to a pool so close to us.  We've been a couple times and I'm sure we will utilize it A LOT this summer.

 Grandma was so good to us!!!
 We did another date night, which was a repeat of our Valentine's date, because we liked it so much...and because we had a 2 time pass.  We learned how to climb and belay and trust each other :)  Seriously so fun!!!
 A finish at our favorite Thai restaurant...can you tell?  Jake would have licked the plates...but I wouldn't let him :)

4 comments:

Amy said...

So fun! We need to take a page out of your book at let grandma have an overnight with our kiddos. I can't believe you just ran 8 miles! Bless you! I'm glad you didn't get lost either!

natalie said...

So fun! Omg. I would have died doing 8 miles and then hiking later. Glad you didn't get to Maine. :)
You should get the thai food to go and then jake can lick to his heart's content. haha

Ben + Brittany Trujillo said...

Fun times! So jealous that you got to go see Newsies! Glad you had fun with mom in town.

Herways Go West said...

Great fun. Thank goodness for your Mom. What a treat. I love to climb....but 8 miles, no fun! Glad they gave you breakfast.

Blog Archive

Contributors