Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Ahhh, Venezia

Jake and I took a nice little getaway to Venice for his birthday and our anniversary.  Even though it was quite cold, we really lucked out with weather and squeezed in the two dry days in the week full of rain.  We checked out a couple travel books at the library and had some things we wanted to see but with no real plan, we just allowed ourselves to get lost in the tiny streets and I think we bumped into it all...maybe even more times than we wanted to :)  We ate pizza at almost every meal and tried every flavor of gelato.  It was perfect!
View of Venice from our hotel.  They had a free shuttle boat that took us over to the island

You just have to love the architecture.  We loved the little building squeezed in between here.

The big 3 0

The Bridge of Sighs

According to Italy Jake became an official Adult that day

One of the highlights for us was taking a ferry over to Giorgio Maggiore, going up into the bell tower and getting a fabulous view of the city.  It was quiet and not crowded at all. 

Another angle

The colors, the water, everything about it...I just love it!!!!!!!!!!!!


This was one of those things we ran into at least a dozen times
Completely by chance, we're not sure what it is even...looks famous

One of those shots that takes 50 tries to get right

Looking at Giorgio Maggiore

One of my favorite shots

From the Accademia Bridge...Salute Cathedral

We had a great plan of finding a gondolier earlier in the morning, when they're not busy and making him a low offer.  It worked beautifully.  With a great price and a slightly shorter trip, we had a great time roaming the canals.




The low tide allowed us to go under these low arches too, which was fun

8 years and counting :)

I wish the picture could have captured how truly stunning the gold mosaic walls and ceiling were.

Classic

Our one regret with not planning ahead.  We really wanted to do some secret passage way tour they do in the Doges Palace.  Sounds really cool, but it was booked for weeks!

Where we spent a lot of our time

Ahhhh, I love Italy




Ahhh, I love Jake too :)



We were planning on taking the bus back to Jake's house but the kids surprised us at the airport.  So fun!


9 comments:

Maria said...

You are living the dream. Someday when Dave and I go you will have to tell me all these things to visit.

Heidi said...

So fun! Glad you guys got to take a little getaway. Great pictures!

natalie said...

I love Italy! This post made me really want to go to Venice.
I love the picture at the end of Jake with the kids. So sweet!

La said...

I love Venice. I think Dan and I were there on our 8th anniversary too! I love all the pictures and I wish I was there.

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! It looks so wonderful. I'm glad you had a chance to get away and celebrate. And the pic at the end with the kiddos is really so cute!

Herways Go West said...

Your fav pictures were fabulous. You have a 'good eye' as they say. I'm glad you love Jake as much as you love Italy. That's a good thing! Appropriate that you went to Italy to celebrate your anniversary....where it all officially started. So romantic.
I'm glad that Italy also recognized in black/white that Jake has now made the transition from Jr. to Adult. Too funny.

Anna-Lisa said...

Man, I wish my husband was from Europe!

Jake said...

I love you too!

Colie said...

haha 'the bridge of sighs' was my favorite pic. :) Glad Jake is officially an adult now.
You also get a photography award for that "my favorite pic" shot of the gondolas & the venetian houses. Beautiful!

Blog Archive

Contributors