Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Our weekend together

It was a tough decision whether to do the parade this year or not. Rachel really wanted to go but it's really not as convenient as it was last year. But, Rachel's multiple doodles of the Macy's parade all over the house with the Hello Kitty balloon and the nice weather (no snow or rain) swayed us to do it. We missed the early train by 30 seconds and caught the next one to arrive as the parade started. We didn't have as good a view but it was a little less crowded further back and we didn't have to break our back holding kids either. Sadly, the crowd also helps with warmth and the kids got really cold. We missed Hello Kitty, but we still saw Buzz and lots of other good balloons and they still had a great time. It was all worth it to capture these smiles on their faces.
After we warmed up in a drugstore, we headed north to see if by any chance our beloved Shake Shack was open for lunch (or maybe just for their pumpkin pie concrete :) Unfortunately it was closed, but on our way we crossed paths with a family leaving the parade that offered us their VIP passes. We headed in just in time to see Santa Claus up close and personal. Which was really great because we missed him last year. Rachel was jumping up and down waving and she was so excited when Santa blew her a kiss. Such a fun surprise!!!
You know, this was my first time back to the city and I was amazed how comfortable it felt. It felt more like home than where we are now. I know it's just a matter of time (we've only been here a few months), but I have been actually feeling a little homesick for the city since then. I never thought I would say that.

Anyway, later that day we enjoyed an amazing meal with some friends from church. With how much we fit it, it still felt like a very relaxed, and also long, day. The rest of the weekend we just enjoyed having Daddy around. He's been traveling for most of the month of November and even back in LA now.

We went to a farm in PA to get a tree and drive through their holiday light show
We were standing next to this big tree enjoying the "snow" (made of soap?) and listening to the Christmas music. Lots of people were taking pictures in front of it and all the sudden I notice Tommy doing this...he had patiently waited his turn then stepped up and smiled. I had to hurry and pull the camera out. I just LOVE this kid!
Roasting marshmallows on an open fireThe kids loved all the lights. As we were finishing up the show Rachel lets out a good sigh and say, "I feel very merry!" Isn't Christmas time wonderful!?
On Saturday Jake and I headed back up to New York to attend his cousin's wedding reception. He hadn't seen Cathy in 15 years, can you believe it? We enjoyed a nice dinner with them and had to miss out on the dancing to get home to our babysitter. Bummer, but it was great to see them.

8 comments:

Ryan and Erin said...

The comment that Rachel felt "merry" is the cutest thing ever!!! It made ME feel merry!

Heidi said...

Those faces at the parade are priceless! We saw Jake tonight, just for a few minutes though. Wish we could see you ALL!!

Amy said...

Oh my cuteness! There are some great pictures of the kiddos at the parade. And I love Kate all bundled up! Tommy is adorable at the Christmas tree farm. I'm so glad you got to see Santa. That definitely has to be a highlight!

laurel said...

Wow I am VERY impressed you came in for the parade!!

Patrick Rich said...

Yeah for parades! Hey, can you send me your new address?

Herways Go West said...

You are right. To capture those kind of smiles, it's worth ALL the effort. Love that you got to go to Cathy's dinner. Thanks for the picture! And love Rachel's
"I feel merry".....love that cutie pie!
Do you get to keep Jake around for a bit now???

La said...

I LOVE Tommy's face in that picture.

Colie said...

Cathy's wedding?! I bet that was fun. I love that family.
mmm...shake shack...

Blog Archive

Contributors