Sunday, August 14, 2011

M-Pirate State Building

So our time is growing short here in the city and I asked Rachel what she wanted to do in NYC before we move. She has asked me lots of questions lately and is really fascinated that the Empire State building is the tallest building and that it has 102 floors. She has also recently climbed all 26 floors up to our apartment. I was going to take her on a special date just me and her to the top but then I couldn't resist my little boy's face when he begged to go to the "m-pirate" state building. I assured him that he wasn't going to see any pirates and he still wanted to go. His, "I'm coming with you, isn't that great?!" made it all worth it. And Jake didn't want to be left out, so he joined too :)

East viewNorth
Finding our apartment
South
And the west view isn't all that exciting. Isn't it great we're moving over there! Actually we are really excited...and getting anxious.

So along this little family outing I have to say we got our fair share of unsolicited advice. And let me tell you, New York City is a mecca for the best parents and advice.

Here's a sampling of things I've been told this past year:

"Be careful! He might fall down the stairs"
I didn't know a kid could fall down 5 feet away, but you never know anything can happen

"Are you checking your baby? She might not be breathing...you should check. Have you read the articles on those things?"

"You need to nip that in the butt" referring to my kids' hyper behavior on a subway followed by a nice long lecture about how I need to discipline my kids and how this behavior might cause violence. This man should watch me try and force my children to sit down and not laugh, then he might see some violence!

"Your kid is going to loose his teeth!" Referring to my kids sitting on their knees on the bus. Forget about their teeth! They're only baby teeth. I've nearly lost mine trying to get these kids to sit down.

"Is this your kid? He was climbing on a bench!"
Yes, I know...he's a kid.

"You can't put your kid up there they could fall! What are you thinking?"
If you see me shoving my child through these bars that he cannot anatomically fit through, then yes, please try and stop me.

And at the Empire State building we touched and climbed too many things, and Tommy even got lost (once again 5 feet away). Most the time I just smile and nod and wish I could see them try and handle three kids in New York City since they obviously think they could do better. Of course sometimes it's nice to have someone else saying "no" to them, because my kids are more likely to listen to them than to me.




6 comments:

akdoxey said...

My friend told me about Governor's island after we moved and I'm so sad we never did that...looks so fun!

I loved reading all the advice. I have so many stories to tell about all the people who could obviously do better than I was. That sure did spice up life.

I know it's bad to say cause it was so difficult but I really miss NYC. Where are you moving next?

Herways Go West said...

Oh man. This post gave me some great chuckles! Nod and smile, nod and smile. If they could only read your thoughts! You know they think they are helping, but you gotta wonder....
Tommy and the M-Pirate building. How cute! He wasn't disappointed not to see pirates???
Can't wait to see you guys...
Is Jake at training this week?

Crystal said...

I think that is the funniest part about being a parent... all of the advice that you don't ask for! It is an experience here because people discipline each other's kids and it is so funny when they get so mad at you for something like "your baby's feet are getting rained on...!" I love your perspective! And how cute is the M-Pirate! Love it!

La said...

Great pictures! I just love free parenting advice. I honestly get asked at least once a week if "all these kids" are mine. Usually, it's followed by a "wow, you sure have your hands full". Yup. People are rude and they don't even know it. Smile. and. Nod. Smile. and. Nod. (and try not to think bad thoughts :)

Amy said...

Oh Tom...you are the cutest! I love it. I am told multiple times per shopping trip that Jack could fall out of the cart if doesn't sit down. I just smile. He hasn't fallen out yet and he's been standing up for months. Oh people...

Colie said...

haha oh parenting advice. I've had plenty of that already ... and I don't even have kids yet! Makes me laugh every time. :)

Blog Archive

Contributors