Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Happy Halloween

Happy Kate! She's laughing and cooing up a storm these days. She's so fun!Halloween shirts. Amazing I got this shot. I think I took at least 20.
Sugar cookies...a tradition. The process and the frosting being the best part.
"Mulalan", the "lucky Guckie" (cricket), and "Dragonfly"
Trick-or-Treating started on Saturday at the World Financial Center stores. They also had bowling for ghosts, bobbing for apples, and the best crafts I've ever seen...masks, wings, capes, skirts, crowns. Really well done.
Rachel's school friend Isabel
Saturday night we had our "trunk-or-treat" without the trunks at our church (no pictures). We knocked on the rooms inside the building. Tommy kept asking, "is it toy time?...is it song time." My favorite was when I found Tommy knocking on the bathroom door.

Pumpkin carving (not a forte of mine...in creativity or knife skills) but it's a must every year because I have to have the seeds! We thought it would be fun to make our faces. An angry Chinese man, a one eyed monster and a scared pumpkin.
Trick-or-Treating New York City style. I was pretty hesitant about this holiday here but it turned out to be quite fun and certainly unique. Those people who want to participate in giving out candy sign up on a list given by the doorman. A couple days before Halloween we were given the list of not only our apartment but every apartment in the neighborhood. Kids can really score a lot of candy. Or course, with it being so cold outside, we only did ours.
Here they are with our friend Merrick before heading out.
Tommy loved his costume! He has worn it all day every day since it came in the mail
Most apartments just had a pumpkin posted on their door if they were participating, but there were a handful that were really impressive.
My favorite part of the whole holiday was watching Rachel get excited about trick-or-treaters coming to our house. One small problem we had was that we did not put our names on the list. After watching her skip around, make a sign for our door and prepare a bowl full of candy (her candy) I didn't have the heart to tell her there weren't any coming. I texted (is that how you spell it...probably like the 4th one I've done in my whole life) a neighbor to have her daughter come by our place. Luckily it worked out that they were on their way home...
I have such ADORABLE kids...I'll have to admit!

8 comments:

Amy said...

The costumes are great! You are so creative, seriously. And I love the family pumpkin shot. Kate is adorable and getting so big!

La said...

I am glad you found that costume in Tommy's size. Our 6T would have been huge on him.
And you are very right, you kids are adorable.

Herways Go West said...

Thanks so much for all the details about Halloween in NYC....the cookie baking, the costumes, how to know which apartment is participating. And Tommy knocking on the bathroom door....seriously a classic!
The fact that you got all 3 kids looking at the camera at the same time...Wow!
I loved every picture. And every detail. Thanks, thanks!

Colie said...

Fun! I love all of your traditions. You can totally tell that TomTom loves his costume. Funny kid. :) I love the Mulan theme - so creative!

Anna-Lisa said...

Yeah for Halloween! I wish I could have been with you take make Halloween sugar cookies. Remember how we used to just eye our sugar cookies and then plan out which color we were going to eat as soon as we got home from class?

What a cool way to go trick-or-treating. Maybe next year you guys will put your names on the list......are we going to see you guys this Christmas?

Anna-Lisa said...

Yeah for Halloween! I wish I could have been with you take make Halloween sugar cookies. Remember how we used to just eye our sugar cookies and then plan out which color we were going to eat as soon as we got home from class?

What a cool way to go trick-or-treating. Maybe next year you guys will put your names on the list......are we going to see you guys this Christmas?

Heidi said...

I was wondering how trick-or-treating would work there. How fun! Cute costumes too!

natalie said...

Halloween in new york looks fabulous! I loved this post.

Blog Archive

Contributors