Sunday, July 4, 2010

Moving Sale

It was no easy task to pack and sift out everything that we needed to get rid of. Nor was it easy to have a sale on the same day as our move. But it really worked best that way. It was a crazy day starting at 6am to get everything out on the driveway. Jake left me in charge of it all as he went to get the moving truck. When he got back we realized that the 10 foot truck we had reserved wasn't big enough (my bad...I thought we could do it). All the 16 foot trucks were already taken and the next biggest one they had was massive. With some scrambling around we found a truck in Statesville, NC which is about an hour away. Meanwhile I'm still dealing with the sale and trying to figure out a way to pick up our car at the body shop that was supposed to be done on Friday and asking the Elder's Quorum to come back later (if they could) when we got the truck. Stressful and extremely humid, but I still enjoyed it. The deal making and cash making was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see what people walked away with at the sale. We sold most of everything, all the big stuff and what was left over we fit in the back of a pick up truck (last picture) which went to Goodwill. Some of the things that were slow to go that surprised me were the kids stuff...toys, the crib and the travel system stroller, my vacuum, and the four man tent. But they eventually went, for a really good deal. It was hard to see some things go for so cheap but other things I wasn't expecting to go at all. In the end we made LOTS of money and I'm very pleased with how it went. Everything worked out, we got to IKEA that afternoon, bought our new furniture and still made it to the ward pool party to say goodbye to our ward and friends. Everything could not have been possible if it weren't for the help of our ward friends and neighbors. Help with packing, watching my kids, providing their trucks, helping me with the sale, getting us meals, etc, etc, etc. Many of them went way above and beyond with their service to us and we are forever indebted to them.


4 comments:

Kristen said...

I am amazed. Moving and selling everything in the same day! I'm proud of you for being able to give up all your stuff. I think I have become way too attached to some things that I really need to not be! I can't wait to see all the stuff you got and your new apartment.

Herways Go West said...

Oh man. I'm speechless! What a task! As you wrote it all down, you had to be amazed...truly amazed that you did it. Indeed you have good friends and neighbors. You are blessed indeed.
So starting all over. I hope I'm ready to do that when it's our turn to move. I will always remember your example and strength and seeing the big picture.

Tom and Kari Lane said...

Wow! Mucho props!!! All in one day.

natalie said...

Wow. That sounds like a very stressful day! That would have been hard to get rid of stuff that you spent a long time picking out.

Also you have inspired me to go shopping at garage sales. :)

Blog Archive

Contributors