Friday, July 9, 2010

The East Coast...

...is a long post, I mean coast. Are you ready for this?

First stop-
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
where the Wright brothers made the first flightthe first four points they landedand then to nearby Kill Devil Hills to do the sand dunes. Rachel has a Dora book about sand dunes and had to have sunglasses just like her.

Virginia Beach
where we stayed one night and enjoyed a quick morning on the beach
Williamsburg, Virginia
Probably would have been 100 times better if it weren't for the 100 degree weather with 100% humidity!
New York!
this is the park just outside our apartment
enjoying Battery Park

Boston, Massachusettes
to visit the MilesThese two were crazy giddy together, playing games, telling jokes and using their imaginations. It was fun to watch but they were really noisy...just ask Tommy
Lexington and Concord
I can't think of a more appropriate way to spend July 3Walden Pond
The neighborhood parade was a little disappointing with just a bunch of noisy fire engines (and no candy)...but Tommy still loved it.
The Boston Fireworks. Every year Rachel has been really scared of them. She was determined to like them this year, and she did...for the most part...


Newport, Rhode Island
a fun day trip where we ate, saw some amazing mansions, played at the beach and hiked the cliff walk. A definite do-again...we loved this place!And goodbye to our one and only car we've had for the past 7 years! Jake had a harder time leaving this than he did our house. He bought it with his hard working lawn mowing money he made and saved as a teenager. It's been good to us and been on many road trips...Southern Utah, Colorado, Florida, Ohio, and now all the way up the east coast.
But, as fate would have it, the Miles were in need of a car (due to a recent wreck) and they are purchasing it. We are happy that we don't have to deal with any more NYC parking or the headache of trying to sell it and that it's going into good hands.back to New York City
Jake got us tickets to go see the Broadway Mar Poppins for my Mother's Day gift. It was a much anticipated event. Rachel had a great time, she was fascinated that she could "fly" and she really got into "Step in Time." After the show she says, "I'm having fun in New York!"and here's us enjoying a bike ride along the Hudson RiverWe're really liking Battery Park City as we learn more about the free activities and things to do. We're just about settled into our apartment, and things are going to settle down for us as well. Jake starts work on Monday. It's sure been great to play with him these past couple of weeks. It will be nice to get back into a routine again...at least for the next 6 weeks :).

14 comments:

Ben + Brittany Trujillo said...

Oh it looks like so much fun. We really want to come visit! How did you change your address? Me and Ben tried doing it with ours, but could not figure out. It would be great to add my name to our address!

La said...

AMAZING!!! Mel, you are a rockstar. And your kids look perfectly happy and adjusted through the move. Hurray for NYC!!!

natalie said...

SO FUN!!! Oh my gosh I am loving all your adventures and am adding so many places to my "must see" list.
It looks like there are tons of fun things for the kids to do there in your neighborhood. That is great!

Melissa said...

You guys look like you have had soooo much fun. I love all the pictures. What a crazy busy past month you have had. So nice that the Miles are taking over your car too!

Miss you guys so much!

Heidi said...

Great post! Seth and I are thinking we need to follow in your footsteps and try NYC for a year. Seth will have to do a fellowship at the end of residency and The Big Apple might just have to be the place!

Nicole said...

i'm really interested in where you are living. my sister and her family are in brooklyn. let me know!!!!

Colie said...

I have a feeling that Rachie & Tommy are going to LOVE New York. Well, the whole family will but those kids look like they've got the world at their fingertips!

Amy said...

I love it there and am excited for you guys. Tommy looks so grown up in all these pictures. If we are lucky, we will make it out there to see you guys before you leave. It is a goal...although I am not sure how realistic!

Anna-Lisa said...

Don't you LOVE Rhode Island?! It's my favorite state! Lexington and Concord are really cool too! Have fun in NY and hey - no more car insurance!

Kristen said...

Oh how fun! I swear I need to be a bit more adventuresome like you guys! Oh well, maybe I will just have to live through you. I can't wait to see all the fun you have.

Herways Go West said...

Well, I think this is your most exciting post ever. SOOOOO much has happened in such a short time! I have to say one of my best memories is the Cliff Walk...did you covet???
Who needs a yard when you have that great park?...and somebody else keeps it up. I just got your blog address, but I can't get into the video. What do I need to do?
You guys rock. Seriously.

Herways Go West said...

Oh, and Tommy holding his ears shut b/c everyone is too loud. That's soooo funny!

Catherine Hess said...

Hi you guys! I just got an email from Jake linking me to your blog. What a beautiful family you have! I'm glad that you sent me the link! I've heard Battery Park City is the best place to live in NYC and it sounds like you're enjoying it :) Sean and I were going to move there this summer, but it didn't work out. We are still in Provo and have two little boys. You can check out my blog at catherinehess.posterous.com

Herways Go West said...

Ok, I saw the blog of Rach, hilarious! She really does duck from the fireworks. Priceless!

Blog Archive

Contributors