Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Duke Grad

Last weekend we went up to Durham for all of Jake's graduation festivities. To begin all the celebrating we had lunch at Nantucket Grill. (My dad flew in the night before to join us and we met up with one of Jake's high school friends who is currently training in Fort Bragg). Untraditionally we had dessert first. Rachel thought it was the coolest thing. Their cakes are famous here and we wanted to make sure we had room to enjoy them. The waiter was really confused when he came out with our lunch. Really funny.
The cakes are huge and were meant to share but I think she inhaled this strawberry shortcake in a minute flat!
We were enjoying our cake and company so much that Jake was late for his graduation...there he is dead last in the march :) He made it just in time.
The Cross-Continent MBA Graduation in the Cameron Indoor Stadium
Entertaining the kids and keeping them quiet during the long ceremonies was quite tricky (and exhausting) but it was fun to hear them cheer, "go Daddy, go Daddy."I told Rachel to draw Daddy and I thought she did a really great job.We're really proud of him!!What Rachel waited so patiently for all day :)...What is it about hotels?...They were so giddy they didn't get to sleep until at least nine that nightThat evening we went to a class reception/party. Not only were we the only ones not drinking alcohol but also very under dressed. Oh well. Jake had to live up to his award given to him that night, "Best Dance Moves" and you can't sweat in formal attire, right?

The Duke University Commencement...I felt like I had the only kids in the entire stadium. I've never received so many dirty looks in all my life. I didn't think they were that bad.It's official...the diploma. Wahooooooooooo!
The Duke ChapelAfter we squeezed in some church we visited the campus gardens. Absolutely beautiful!I think this picture is classic! It really depicts how the kids were that day. Late night, and no naps...too be expected. Rachel kept saying, "this is not the greatest day ever!" And Tommy just couldn't sit still.
My dad was suppose to cut off my feet in that shot ;)

14 comments:

Melissa said...

It feels like yesterday that Jake started his program. We were just having Sophie and Tommy and now we are in the family of 5 category.

Congrats Jake!

p.s. I love the very last picture.

Maria said...

Congrats Jake! I love Rachel's last comment. I felt the same way with my kids at graduation. They weren't that bad!

Tom and Kari Lane said...

Congrats for all!! I know how the kids feel. Sitting through graduation stuff is not the funnest.

Kristen said...

Congrats Jake and Congrats to you Mel! I love that you are wearing sneakers, hey it was a long day and you are prego, you can do whatever you want!

La said...

LOVE that last pic. I have a few dozen of those. :) And Congrats to you and Jake. We are very proud of you both.

natalie said...

Congrats Jake! and Mel!
I can't believe the nerve of people.. giving dirty looks because little kids aren't behaving like 20 yr olds. People without kids will just never understand...
I love that pic of Rachel in the grad cap. so cute!
this is not the best day ever. hahaha. that is too cute.

Amy said...

I had a really good laugh about "this is not the greatest day ever." So funny. I feel your pain about entertaining during graduation, but at least we were at BYU where people are much more sympathetic! Congrats to you guys for 2 years of hard work and that cake looks delicious!

Anna-Lisa said...

Congratulations JAKE!!!!!!!!! You guys are awesome and I love how Rachle said "This is not the greatest day ever." Though sad for her, it just sounds funny!

Colie said...

Wow. Jake - congratulations. Mel - congratulations. Rachie - congratulations. Tommy - congratulations. You all inspire me!

Tim and Cindy Larsen said...

so you will have to tell me who his friend is at Fort Bragg and we will see if he knows my sister and husband (Kurt and Jennifer Anderson)..... they live in Anderson Creek Corners in Fayetteville... anyways, congrats!

Becca said...

Congrats! How fun to be all finished! Love all your fun pics.

Katie said...

Congratulations Jake! We are so excited for you! You too, Melanie! This is a joint degree! :)

Herways Go West said...

Lee Cleghorn made it! Super!!
Congrats to Jake and to you. What a fun celebration. Loved all the pictures. That helps ease the pain in not being able to join in the fun.

rach said...

Way to go Jake and Rachel!!! So fun! And mel the picture with the tennis shoes made me feel right at home thank u Richard for not cutting them off the joy of pregnancy!!!!:)

Blog Archive

Contributors