Friday, May 28, 2010

Another graduate...

We had a little preschool graduation for Rachel and her friends last weekend. She was super excited to have it be "her" day...especially after all the attention Daddy just got. I made them their little hats and they got a diploma and an award. Rachel was given the "Good Character" Award for always being happy and silly. Then we celebrated with ice cream sundaes and a movie of all the pictures and videos we took of the year. We gave her her own graduation card (she saw lots come in the mail for Daddy) with some money that she got to take to the bookstore and pick out a new book. She loved it!
And now for my dilemma...I just learned a week ago that Rachel really could be done with preschool! I found out that the New York State deadline for kids entering Kindergarten is December. Here in North Carolina she misses it so it was never an option to consider and now she easily makes it. It has been weighing heavily on my mind (like I don't already have enough to think about). But what a big decision this is!! I need help! I need your advice, opinion, experience to help me consider things that I may not know. I know in the end it will be our decision but I just need a little guidance. If you are a parent and have gone through this before, or you personally were oldest or youngest in your class, maybe you could shed a little more light for me. Here are some of my thoughts:

Going this year
Pros
  • I feel like she's intellectually and socially ready
  • She's been begging to go to school for a long time
  • It would be free...preschool is astronomically expensive
  • Good schools in New York
  • I would have 2 kids most of the day, instead of 3
  • She would make lots of friends
Cons
  • She would be the youngest in the class...especially when we move out of NY
  • I don't think I'm emotionally ready to give her up all day, and expose her to the "world"
  • Her and Tommy would be 3 years apart in school
  • Getting her to and from school will be a hassle
  • She would leave for college a year earlier
  • She would miss out on New York activities/experiences
  • We would have less freedom

Going next year
Pros
  • She will be oldest in the class
  • I'll have her for one more year (now and before she goes to college)
  • Her and Tommy will be 2 years apart in school
  • We would have a lot of freedom to play and experience New York City

Cons
  • Most of her friends (kids her age) will be in school
  • She might not be as challenged as much next year
  • Figuring out what to do for her education/activity for the next year...and how much it will cost!
  • 3 kids is a lot to handle

14 comments:

Kristen said...

Man oh man that is a hard decision. I really don't know what I would do. For a boy I would totally keep him home another year for sports, mission etc, but a girl is even harder to decide. Ry would say send her (who knows if he would say that if it was his first though!) because then you don't have to stress about her dating until after everyone else, but as a mom I'd really want to keep her home. I am sure you guys will make the right decision for you and Rachel.

Good luck with New York!

Hodnett Family said...

Oh, she is so cute in her little graduation hat! Good luck with that TOUCH decision!

Hodnett Family said...

tough decision, is what I meant to say. =)

Heidi said...

Congrats Jake and Rach!

Herways Go West said...

would love to talk....
I would send her. The 'out' is that when you move, you tell her it was PRE-kindergarten and in your next state it will be REAL kindergarten. Solves the issue if you decide it was too soon. Also, if you hate it, pull her out. You can always start her and change your mind, but can you do the opposite?
I think she will be bored to tears in an apartment. Even Tommy will be begging to go.
With a newborn, what kind of freedom will you have to show her the NY experience anyway....she can see it on the week-ends!
The BIG drawback is getting her there. That is HUGE. That could be big enough to cancel the whole idea.
I sent Nicole a year later. So she showed me...she graduated a semester early!
Either way, good luck in your decision.

natalie said...

My first thought was that you could let her start Kindergarten this fall. Then I read your list and it really is confusing! It's almost like no matter what you do, you will have SOME regrets. So go with your gut!
I personally think having one less child to take care of for 1/2 the day would be easier since you will have a newborn. You will still have her for the entire afternoon/evening.
I was one of the youngest in my class and I loved it.

Amy said...

I say give it a try. She is socially and educationally ready for school. The deadline in CA is also Dec. so I had friends that were younger in school and it seemed fine. She will love it and if worse comes to worse, she could repeat next year.

La said...

Mel, I would also send her. Dan was the youngest in his class and LOVED it. Both of my older two kids have done all day kindergarten and they were very ready and did great. If Scarlet didn't miss the deadline here I would send her. I had considered testing her in and sending her but she wouldn't be allow at my kids charter school and could possibly lose her spot so I will have to keep her home. It is way hard as I mom to send off a kid to school. I cry every year. This past year I was crying so hard that the secretary asked me if I needed help getting to my car. :) But the benefits of school far out weigh the cons. Another thing to consider is many states and most European countries school deadline is in December. So she won't be the only one with an October birthday.
Good luck! (p.s. I had three kids at home for two years and it wasn't the end of the world.)

Ryan and Erin said...

Thanks for your tip Melanie. Sometimes I feel like such a goof!

Tom and Kari Lane said...

I would send her. I do not have kids but I was one of the younger ones at school and loved it. Oh, happy b-day bytheway. Its the today right?

Anna-Lisa said...

That's a tough decision- in my experience as a teacher, I feel that girls usually handle being the youngest in their grade just fine. In my experience as a student - I was always jealous of the younger kids.....but I was a wierdo.

If you think that she is intellectually ready then it would be a good idea to get her started - you can always pull her out or if she isn't performing well, have her repeat it right?

Colie said...

What does Rachie want?
She's a pretty smart and mature kid. I think she'll like going this year. That's my simple vote.

Abby said...

There are some fabulous schools in NYC and I think she will experience "the city" way more being in school than out of school. They arrange great field trips around the city and programs to perform in the schools and I know I would love to have my child experience all that...for free! But all you can really do is pray about it, right? :)

Katie said...

Mel, I feel for you because we have been working on this decision too. We opted to keep Davin out of kindergarten this year for a lot of reasons but ultimately because we thought it would be the best thing for him (even though it will be more expensive and inconvenient for us). If I have any advice, I would say that you need to do what is best for Rachel. It seems like there are a lot of pros for Rachel on the "go next year" list. However, I would recommend contacting the school; talk to the principal, PTA president, other parents (if you can) to get a better idea of what the school culture is like. In this area, parents seem to be inclined to hold their kids back and we were concerned that Davin would be really young compared to his classmates; however the same might not be true for the schools in NYC. Maybe finding out more information will help you to know where Rachel will thrive better. Either way, you are a good mom and because you care, Rachel will be successful. Best of luck!

Blog Archive

Contributors