Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Kate is 3

Kate requested a "balloon birthday."  At first I tried to get something more or different out of her, but in the end I welcomed and LOVED the simplicity of it.
This girl can eat pancakes like nobody's business

 A smile is worth a thousand words...and 4 weeks of antibiotics 3x a day.  If you can tell, her smile is slightly crooked.  This poor little girl got Lyme's disease, and Bell's Palsy with it.  We first noticed an interesting rash and showed it to our pediatrician who thought it might be ringworm.  The treatment for that didn't work and when I noticed the facial paralysis, red flags started flying and I took her in.  On my way out of the office the doctor mentioned there was a chance that her face wouldn't recover.  I took it pretty hard at first, especially feeling guilty I hadn't taken her in sooner.  But after a priesthood blessing and talking to another doctor I was very hopeful.  This girl has a smile that can light up the room and we're so grateful it's back.  Luckily, she didn't suffer from any other symptoms with the Lyme's.
This is just a few days earlier (at the hospital)

A week and a half earlier (at an Orioles baseball game)
    To celebrate her birthday, we went to lunch at the Rainforest Cafe
Kate ate every last noodle of her large plate of mac n cheese


 Kate got super shy when the waitresses came out singing for her.  She is always reserved when she meets new people but usually warms up after a while.
These kids were excited about the gifts they got her.

Lily, 5 days old

Party pooper

 Kate got her own scooter (she was always stealing Tommy's and making him very upset), a bunch of princess things and I can't remember what else.  I know, it wasn't that long ago.
 Cupcakes with lollipop balloons.  Lollipops are another favorite of Katelyn's
 The kids seemed to like their suckers more than their ice cream.
A few things about my little girl:
  • She has the cutest voice.  We get comments about it everywhere.
  • She loves to sing.  Her current favorites (and ours) are "Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel" and "If you chance to 'me nut brown'" (meet a frown)
  • She is very independent and has been buckling herself, putting on her shoes, etc. for a long time
  • She knows her colors and a lot of her letters and sounds
  • She can ride her scooter fast.  She scares all of our neighbors.
  • She loves playing tea party and picnics
  • Loves following, doing and copying anything the big kids are doing.
  • She's addicted to the iPad (I have to put some serious limitations to that thing)
  • Is great at saying, "thank you" "your welcome" and "sorry"
  • She's my best sharer
  • Has facial expressions that kill me :)
  • And it's a good thing she's so cute with those curls and blue eyes, because 3 years old can be really terrible

7 comments:

Herways Go West said...

What? Bells palsy and lyme's disease? I didn't know about any of that....scary. Glad it's over. Wow, what a scare. And all at the same time with a newborn? Tom had lyme's disease, not fun!

La said...

Kate is as bright as the sun! I loved the short time we were able to spend with her. Scarlet has been missing her little shadow. (And good work with the B-day celebrations!)

Colie said...

Happy Birthday to Miss Kate!! I love how she is so content with any type of fun. She's such an easy going kid who has the most contagious giggles.

The Bawden's said...

What a cutie! I can't believe she is 3, she looks so different (well, of course she does, I last saw her over a year ago, yikes). Love her to death!

Amy said...

She is so big! I'm glad the Lyme's disease has improved. Poor girl. Her independence sounds nice. Sophs still needs a lot of Mommy's help! Her birthday party looks adorable. Wish her and Sophs could be besties!

Heidi said...

Those cupcakes are adorable! So scary about Bells Palsy. My cousin had it for about a month or so. I can imagine you would just be thinking worst case scenarios when you first noticed it though (at least I would!) So glad she's ok!

natalie said...

I'm so glad Kate is better! How scary! I can't believe how old she is already. What a sweetie she is. We really miss her!

Blog Archive

Contributors