Sunday, December 23, 2012

NYC Getaway

 My mom came to visit us during this great time of year and sacrificed a couple extra days leave from work so that Jake and I could have a little getaway.  We first considered going skiing, and entertained the idea of how fun it would be to go to Vermont.  But after adding up the prices it really didn't make sense.  So we came up with a great plan B.  Skating in NYC has been on my bucket list for quite a while and we never had the chance when we were here.  With a free hotel stay at the Hyatt (Jake signing up for some credit card) we figured we'd splurge on a couple things.

Our first item on the to-do list was get a Belgian Waffle for breakfast.  But we didn't catch the early train and we needed to get to the temple, which was also on our to do (we don't get to it often enough) so we thought we had to forgo our treat.  We exited the subway and my nose could not deny it.  I look behind us and the truck was right there in front of the temple.
We planned to skate in Central Park, but something was drawing me to Rockefeller and I changed my mind.
 We walked down and figured we could see how long the line was.  We were told 45 minutes, so we stayed.  It ended up being more a little over an hour, but it wasn't bad.  It was such a fun experience!!  It was SO magical skating under the big tree, with the Christmas music, everybody was just giddy, and it really wasn't crowded at all. 
 A unique view
 Loved every second of it!
 The temperature outside was perfect too.

 A Christmas memory we'll never forget!
 It was hard to stop but we had to get some dinner and make it to our Broadway Show, which was about Charlie Chaplin.  What an incredible story...rags to riches and fame...and then dumped, exiled from America.  But he found true love in the end.  We both really enjoyed it (despite my heavy eyes from squinting because I forgot my glasses)
Thanks again Mom!!

5 comments:

Herways Go West said...

Superb! How nice for the two of you....and how fabulous of your mom! Looks like a perfect get away and you really didn't have to go far to find magic, did you?

La said...

I have always thought it would be so romantic to go to NYC at Christmas time. You guys are cute.

natalie said...

What fun! NYC looks amazingly fun and miserably cold at the same time. :)

Colie said...

I love that the waffles were right outside the temple! I've always wanted to ice skate at the Rockefeller too. I'll have to add charlie chaplin to my play queue.

Amy said...

Seriously impressed with your ice skating skills! You guys are the best at doing little getaways! The Christmas tree is amazing. Your hair is getting so long Mel. It looks fab!

Blog Archive

Contributors