Monday, January 31, 2011

Snow and Ice

Last Thursday we had a rare snow day in NYC with school canceled. We really miss those Charlotte shut down days (I think they've had at least 3 this year) because Jake still had to go to work. Once Rachel learned that nobody else was going to be at school she was ecstatic. I did my very best to entertain her. We played in the snow, baked cookies, did various arts and crafts, read lots of books, watched a movie, played computer games and by 2:00 I was exhausted of energy and ideas and Rachel was begging for more fun. I was grateful to have her for the day, but I'm also grateful she's in school where they can provide the stimulation she needs everyday. She would turn to mush like Tommy and I are with the countless hours we spend doing practically nothing inside this winter.
Just outside our complex
I made this cute hat. But I cheated with one of those knifty looms.100 pieces!
Watching Pete's Dragon. I just love how they wanted to sit together in the rocking chair, and they really loved the movie!On the way home from school on Friday I went by way of river to check out the chunks of ice drifting down the Hudson. Crazy cold around here. There's been talk from the locals that this winter is exceptionally cold compared to their typical winters. I knew it would be my luck after experiencing one of the hottest summers!Saturday Jake and I went on a date to Central Park. I've been wanting to see it with freshly fallen snow. We had a great time exploring and then warming up with "tea" and scones at Alice's Tea Cup. It was so nice to get out, even if it was in the cold.

9 comments:

Kristen said...

Love the hat. I don't think it's cheating at all to use a loom. It's better than I could do for sure, even the loom scares me.

Ben + Brittany Trujillo said...

Holy cow you have more snow than we do! It looks like you did a great job keeping the kids entertained. You are a wonderful mother. I haven't seen Pete's Dragon in forever. I loved that movie. I'm excited to see you all in a couple weeks! Love you all!

Amy said...

The kids are so cute. Rachel is so smart and big. I can't wait to see all of you soon. It has been far too long. And I'm glad you and Jake got out for a little bit. It makes all the difference!

Herways Go West said...

I heard another big storm is heading your way...worst one since what? 1968 or something? I bet Jake still has to go to work.
Love Kate's pic in her pink hat. Love Tommy in his chef hat. Love the picture of NYC in snow....
and glad Rach loves school and that is keeps her entertained and motivated. But a snow day is always fun!

Tom and Kari Lane said...

Impressive hat!

natalie said...

So funny that Rachel was concerned that the other kids would be enjoying school without her!
When Bryn was Tommy's age I checked out The Toddler Busy Book from the library. It had great ideas for ways for Bryn to be entertained while I took care of baby Isa.

La said...

Those kids are super cute. I can't wait to see them in living color!!

Katie said...

Hope you guys are surviving the snow! It's a little warmer down here but I feel like we are spending a lot of time indoors too.

BTW, next time you are in SLC, you have to check out this place (though maybe you have already been): http://www.brugeswaffles.com/main.phpIt's run by a guy from Belgium and the waffles were amazing!!! It made me miss the Herways, though.

ephrielle said...

You are completely welcome to my bundle of energy. I am super amazed you kept up entertaining Rachel at such a super level for so long. Way to be a great example of motherhood in action.
We have no snow whatsoever, only rain. However, it is actually cold enough tonight to have frost on the ground.
I have been trapped inside with my kid as well since we are both moving and she is sick. No fun at all!

Blog Archive

Contributors