Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The busy life

My life is as simple as it could be right now with my only obligation being picking up Rachel at 3:00 a half mile walk away. I don't do many errands besides grocery shopping once a week. (Most of my other shopping is done online). I do laundry once a week and cleaning (whenever I can, but not often enough) and yet I still feel like a chicken running around with it's head cut off? I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it when the kids start doing activities again.

Here's the latest from my little busy bodies:

I'm loving every second of this cutsie one
even when she sleeps...still working on making those longer stretches at night (and for naps) though.
This kid has now mastered getting out of the pack-n-play and naps have become a rarity...as if I don't get enough of him in one day. He's super fun and imaginative, and we have great fun playing superheros, trains, legos...but I do need a break. He doesn't get "quiet time" like Rachel did. His millions of questions make me mentally exhausted as well :)
Sometimes this will happen when we pick Rachel up from school. I was shocked when I was talking to another mother from Rachel's class when she told me all her kids' naps have been in the stroller. It now makes sense why I see so many nanny's walking sleeping kids. I guess I fit in now.
My 5 year old and 5 month old...why do they grow so fast?!
Rachel is a pretty proficient reader, already exceeding Kindergarten level. She loves to read to Tommy and Kate. She's a super helpful girl. From time to time she enjoys helping me cook dinner. This is us cutting onions. She got us glasses so we don't "cry"
and this arrangement will work out nicely, hopefully it continues
Kate had her first feeding of rice cereal on Sunday. Although a lot (or maybe all of it) ended up on her bib, she still did very well.


Jake is continuing to work later hours and I'll continue to have a lot on my plate with dinner, dishes, baths, and bedtime routine by myself on a regular basis. So we are taking life one day at a time. It seems to be working.

10 comments:

Amy said...

So cute! Oh yes, Jack mastered getting out of the Pack N play months ago. So sometimes he doesn't nap either. I can't wait to see you guys! The kids have changed so much since we have last seen them. Plus meeting Kate is going to be so fun. Counting down the days...

La said...

Those three kids are super cute. I wish we lived closer so we could get together for dinner, husbandless and all. I can't wait to hear Rach read and I can't wait to hold Kate and I can't wait for Tommy and Brauer to be buds.

nd said...

so i have to get the skinny on rachel reading...dying to hear how it all happened. send me an email as soon as you get a chance! miss you guys here in charlotte.
noelle d

Melissa said...

I love LOVE the picture of your girls together. They look so much alike but I love how Kate has the blue eyes that make her a little different. So cute!

Tommy... Sophie misses you! We wish you could come and play superheroes at our house.

You are an amazing woman Melanie! You do have a lot on your plate and are doing a wonderful job.

ps.. where did you get the princess bath toys? Will you be in Utah soon?

Becca said...

Way to go supermom!! Your kids are getting so big and are A-DORABLE!!! We sure miss you guys here, but glad you get this fun experience!

Herways Go West said...

My fav picture is your 5/5 sister picture. Really super. Funny how Kate is really concentrating on that food. I hate it when they grow out of naps....but what can you do? (CRY!!) Thanks for the update!

chloe said...

Love the blog! It was fun watching the kids tonight (well, holding Kate...I didn't do a lot with the others). On a totally separate note, I'm curious to know how you know Amber and Clayton.

AM said...

we have that same play mat! great minds think alike! =o] and you are absolutely amazing and i hope you know i really mean it when i say you are an inspiration to me! 4pm to 8pm is a rough time of day- especially alone! you can do it though! just keep taking it one day at a time like you said.

about "quiet time"- maybe he would listen to a book on cd? or watch a short movie on the portable dvd player? at least then you could read your scriptures without anyone touching you to recharge each day! =o] good luck!

Colie said...

Huh-larious! Every picture seemed to make me smile even bigger: Kate & Rach snuggling, Tommy sleeping, Kate eating (officially the happiest baby ever, & Rachie in the tub. Those kids just love life!

natalie said...

What cute kids you have! Rachel looks like a great helper... reading and feeding. :)
Maybe you are a nicer mom than me, but I totally recommend turning the lock to the outside and locking tommy in for his naps. (you can buy a doorknob with a lock for $10). Tell him he can sleep, read, or play with his toys, but he has to stay in his room.
If Isa doesn't sleep I usually only leave her in there playing for 1 hour.

Blog Archive

Contributors