Sunday, January 16, 2011

Hope

Last week was one tough week!!! Was it the freezing temperatures- being cooped up in a small space all day long and the bundling battles? The kids fighting and not listening? Jake working long hours and having to do the nightly routine of dinner, baths, clean up, getting ready for bed all by myself? My heart breaking for my husband and the way he is being treated despite his best efforts and sacrifices at work? Sleep training Katelyn? The apartment being a complete disaster...honestly, I don't think one thing was in the right place. Who knows? I reached a breaking point and broke down like never before. Feelings of self-doubt, despair, loneliness were overwhelming. Luckily I don't dwell down there too long. Sunday was rejuvenating for me with the talks in Church of hope and Christ...

"It is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his might storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall"


I can do this, I can make it through...I just can't do it alone

and there are moments each day with these kids that just seem to make it all worth it!
I love picking up this smiling face from school everyday
and her fun little ideas
being carefree with this kid who was in his pjs and playing his legos literally all day longfinding so much joy in the simple things
seeing this little one learn and grow so fast, reaching milestones of rolling over, and finding her feet, she is so happy and always smilingmaybe because she is so loved
Jake had to work yesterday and has to today as well. This week might be another grueling week, but then it should calm down after that, spring will come, Jake will switch jobs, Kate will learn to sleep through the night...

16 comments:

Allison and Noah Riley said...

Loved this post. You've been in my thoughts a lot today - here's to sending good vibes your way :).

Melissa said...

Love, love, love Rachel's coat. Tommy seems so easy and mellow going too. And Katelyn's eyes... BLUE? Maybe we talked about this when we skyped (short term memory, my kids distracting me, etc.) but I don't remember. Anyway, they look blue and so cute. My friend has 2 kids with chocolate brown eyes and their baby is blue eyes.

I felt like Sunday was rejuvenating as well. So thankful I was able to attend despite sick kids. (tim stayed home). Dave Mile's dad is our HC and he spoke and was a great talk as well.

Miss you guys. You are a wonderful mommy we some very tough adjustments during a bad time of year with the winter. I can empathize.

AM said...

you can do it!! it is good to let it all out sometimes (hopefully you were alone =o]) keep your chin up and sing primary songs when you feel like screaming (at least that is what i do ha ha ha ha)

Kristen said...

Oh Mel, I'm so sorry things have been so rough lately. I am totally with you, I am constantly reminding myself that I can do it and that I need to embrace these little moments no matter how stressful and overwhelming they are, but it is rough that is for sure.

ephrielle said...

Wow, so there are others out there struggling too. You are a great person and will most definitely come off conqueror at the end of the day, never doubt that.

La said...

Mel, I admire you. You are a terrific mother. I have no doubts that you will all come though this winter and be better/stronger for it.

p.s. I love that last picture of Kate. I can't wait to see her.

Maria said...

Sorry you had a rough week, but you are so great at being positive and finding the good. Your kids all look cute--and Kate is looking so big! Hope to see you soon!

Tom and Kari Lane said...

Wish I could be there to help you out. Know that you are loved and prayed for.

natalie said...

I couldn't do what you are doing. I would have lost it a long time ago! Thanks for your honesty. It makes me feel not so crazy.
You are a great mom. It helps that your kids are so stinkin cute. We miss you guys.

Forrest said...

Hey Melanie! I'm Forrest's wife (Forrest served with your husband).

Oh my heavens! I so could have written this post last week too! Bah! Winter in the city are THE WORST! I feel like I've had to readjust to city living again as soon as the snow hit - it's so much work! And top that with busy husbands and small living spaces and carrying groceries - blah. The worst.

But that quote is awesome! My mantra for the first year we lived here was I Can Do Hard Things. I would whisper it to myself when I wanted to cry (I still ended up crying, but I felt better).

You can do it!!!

Anyway, we should get together some time. Forrest has been talking about having you over. I think it's about time for us to meet!

And let me know if you need to dish about the city. I love to love/hate this place with anyone anytime.

abbietastic@gmail.com

Forrest said...

P.S. this is Abbie. Forrest didn't marry a woman named Forrest:)

Tim and Cindy Larsen said...

I totally know how you feel. Completely overwhelemed, feeling like it's only 10 a.m. and you already feel defeated by goals you seem to not be able to accomplish and expectations you thought were realistic and were at one time, but not now........ no sleep......no extra hands and looking around at all the laundry, mess, etc. knowing if you don't get in and do it, it won't get done! Maybe your life is better than that, but that's how it seems more often than not right now for me so hang in there...... it is hard what you are doing..... can't imagine doing it all in such a freezing place along with absolutely no where to hide but that bathroom of yours! You're doing great and the year will go by........tell Jake hi!

Colie said...

I think you should write a book about your experiences. You're a good writer - I can practically hear moms across the world go, "Amen!"
PS-Those ARE some incredibly creative, fun, and adorable kids.

Herways Go West said...

your kids are stinkin' cute, and as you said, gets you through many a tough day. or makes your day tough. same, same.
Jake? so it's official. he went from the frying pan to the fire. I cringe when I picture him in a cubicle surrounded by men haters. And the ONLY man. All this has to be for the good but I admit it is hard to see where/why at this junction.
good thing we really do believe that...(that it will all be for the good...eventually!)

akdoxey said...

Oh Melanie-

I just took a walk down memory lane. I'm sure you'll hate that it made me so jealous to look at all the pictures. I miss NYC a lot. Not daily life, never going to miss that. But it was such a fun place to live! I'm very impressed in your ability to do it with 3 kids. It seems like where you guys found a place is wonderful. Are you there only one year? So six more months?

I loved looking back at the christmas posts and the post where you took a trip up state. It was always so therapeutic to "get out of the city." Just so you know, you are welcome down to our place ANYTIME! Once the weather gets better, there are a ton of things to do around us.

When we get up to the city, we'll have to catch up with you guys sometime. It'd be fun to see you. Good luck and I TOTALLY understand what you're going through...although I only did it with two.

Herways Go West said...

PS. I LOVE Tommy's look while Rach is copying his body outline.

Blog Archive

Contributors