Thursday, June 17, 2010

NY living

With our previous experience in finding an apartment in New York and being scammed, Jake and I decided to fly out this time to find a place. We had a few priorities:
1) being close to Jake's work (for a short commute...his hours are going to be a bit longer than we're used to)
2) a minimum 2 bedroom
3) washer and dryer in the unit
We quickly learned our priorities were a bit out of our price range. We did get our top priority though. We are a mile from Jake's work...20 minute walk or a 5 minute bike ride on the Hudson River Greenway. It's in a place called Battery Park City. A fun, safe little area down on the south west tip of Manhatten. There's a pool, couple playgrounds, a library, a port with boats, and of course the greenway to keep a mother and 3 kids occupied. Not to mention that we're walking distance to the Staten Island Ferry, a short free shuttle ride (or walk) away from the South Street Seaport and the Brooklyn Bridge. Our apartment is small (as you can see) but we're hoping it will work. We'll put the kids in the bedroom and treat the rest of the space like a studio apartment. We'll put a divider between our bedroom and our living area and we can even build a wall if we need. Visitors are still welcome! :) We'll have our futon and air mattress. It'll be fun! We also have a great view of the Hudson River (almost the Statue of Liberty), downtown, and New Jersey (Hi, Steve!!). Now the trick will be minimizing all of our stuff to fit in that place!

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Is it crazy that I'm jealous?! You guys are going to do so great there, and how awesome that you're so close to things the kids will love! I was struggling getting my groceries and one child up to our 5th level apartment and I thought of you! I thought if Mel can do this with three kids, I can do this one. :)

La said...

I am excited for you guys! What a great experience. And I am very jealous that you get to get rid of all your excess stuff. I want to to throw away pretty much everything we have. Really. I pretty much just pick up the same junk every day. I should just toss it.

Amy said...

You are brave little souls. But it is going to be a lot of fun because New York is awesome. And you are in a great location. I wonder if a family of 4 would be too many visitors?

natalie said...

EEEEE!! That view!! That is amazing but since I'm scared of heights it's also a little intimidating. It will be so fun though!
Your apt looks TOTALLY doable. I REALLY want to come visit. Do you really WANT visitors to stay in your apt? Well maybe I will say I need to come help you with the new baby and I'll come by myself. ;)
But I have to say the other day Bryn was asking when she would get to see Rachel again. :(

Herways Go West said...

I also love the view! think how little time you will spend on cleaning up the apartment? Clean in a flash! Save the laundry and grocery shopping for evenings and week-ends and you are set. It's exciting. thanks for the video!!!

Colie said...

I'm coming, I'm coming! I love the floor, love the appliances, love the lighting. Love you guys!

akdoxey said...

Looks like you found a great place in the city. It looks pretty new! I don't think I ever really got back to you last time but you did fine by yourselves. That area of Manhattan is so fun, I'm glad you're down in that area. Do you still want my doctor's info? Good luck with everything, I'm sure it's a comfort knowing that it's only for a year.

Anna-Lisa said...

Oh my word - you guys are literally IN IN NYC! I remember when I visited NY and we got off the subway and literally sprinted to the Staten Island Ferry - it's not a HUGe run but it's not super short either. Needless to say - we missed the ferry and had to wait 30 minutes for the next one...bummer. Fun, Little apartment! That will be an adjustment from your house in NC....good luck moving in. We miss you out here.

Blog Archive

Contributors