Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Peach Pickin'

I'm hooked! I love this fruit picking business. I love going out in the country and talking to the southern folks and going out onto their beautiful farms to pick fresh fruit, and maybe taste a litte too. Add in a picnic lunch and a visit to the ice cream shop...it couldn't get any better. Of course it wasn't all peachy. Tommy cried the whole way there (about an hour drive), Rachel whined a lot about the dew and mud getting in her toes, and we melted in the August heat, but I honestly didn't care. I'd do it all again tomorrow! But, I've got too many to know what to do with. We made a peach cake dessert on Sunday and peach jam last night. And with the help of a good friend I canned 12 jars of peaches this afternoon. I still have at least a dozen left. All that for $10! Okay, what's next...apples. I can't wait!!


9 comments:

Mindy said...

That's a lot of peaches -- it looks so good! You have such a positive attitude despite the kids having a rough start :) Picking fruit is so fun; that's great that your kids got to join in. It makes for a fun memory.

Anna-Lisa said...

I am just so jealous, I really wish we could pick fruit somewhere too. I love fruit picking.

Maria said...

Seriously? Ten dollars? I need to get into fruit picking too. But as far as I know we only grow cranberries and blackberries up here. Oh, and apples in the fall too.

Herways Go West said...

Good for you. I don't think you can beat fresh fruit. Wow! Love the picture of the 2 girls picking together. Darling!

natalie said...

What fun! Take us with you.
We have some farms near us where we can pick fruit, pumpkins, etc but it isn't that cheap. that is amazing!

Tom and Kari Lane said...

Awesome!! We tried to go apple picking in Mass. but it was too pricey. I was able to go blackberry picking just off the road (free) in near Seattle. I love it! Cute pics!

nd said...

cute post melanie! yes, it was a hot day wasn't it? well, this new set is almost ripe. i'll let you know when i'm done to pass the canning stuff on to you.
noelle

Hodnett Family said...

It looks so fun and delicious!

La said...

I think the South is really growing on me. I would love to pick fresh peaches in July! Utah peaches aren't ready until Labor Day. I think you need to post some of your yummy fresh fruit recipes. Please.

Blog Archive

Contributors