Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Getting by

I don't mean to be dramatic, I know some mother's do it all the time, but Jake has been in Durham for school since Friday and it's my first time handling the kids alone for this length of time. It has been easier than I expected but still tough. Including the night they each decided to be awake for 3 hours in the middle of the night. It would have been nice if it at least overlapped! But we are managing with wonderful friends who have had us over for dinner and doing fun things like, movie night with popcorn and candy.Tommy got this peach out of the fridge all by himself and started eating it. If I knew they could be this independent for breakfast, I should have slept in :)
Yesterday Rachel came bouncing into my room with big bright eyes, "It's the most beautiful day I've never seen!!!" You can't tell from the picture, but there were some pretty pink clouds in the sky. Can you wake up in a bad mood with that? No way, but you can wake up in a bad mood when they come in before 6:00am saying their hungry and want to play in your room.

I love that little man!
One thing Rachel likes to do lately is help me set the table. Usually she just does the dishes, utensils and cups, but last night she got really into it. Empty milk, mustard, bread, tabasco sauce, dressing, yogurt, cheese. Tommy helped a little too.
These kids love their daddy and sure miss him. We were talking to him on the phone yesterday and Rachel kept saying, "Don't talk bye-bye Daddy" "Let's talk on the phone all day long." Just two more days.

6 comments:

natalie said...

I know how you feel! When Noel is gone I always feel guilty for not being able to handle it when I know some people do it all the time. But then I rationalize it saying that they are used to it and I am used to Noel's help and my girls just miss their daddy.
Rachel is such a proud little helper in that last pic. haha. Can't wait to see her.
I love that picture of Tommy eating his peach. I have a friend that sets out her kids breakfast on the table every night so they let her sleep in. :)

Amy said...

Hang in there Mel! I have yet to do it on my own and dread the day really. But think about how much more you appreciate Jake! We can't wait to see you in a few short weeks!

Tom and Kari Lane said...

Tough. Sorry about that! I am sure you are handling it better than I would. Love the picture with the peach.

Herways Go West said...

I like Tommy in the fridge! What's the deal here....forget to feed him? Just kidding, I know it's an endless supply of food and still not enough. I know Jake misses you all just as much as you miss him.

Anna-Lisa said...

Your kids sure are cute!

AM said...

you can do it!
i made chicken divan for dinner the other night and thought of you guys. your kids are beautiful! (we just got the internet back after the move and i hadn't been on your blog in a while =o]) anyway, i hope you survive without your hubby!

Blog Archive

Contributors