Saturday, June 7, 2008

Birthday

Birthday's are so fun with kids. Rachel baked a birthday cake for me from her little play kitchen. She came back to my room singing happy birthday with a hamburger bun in a frying pan with a candle on top. So sweet!!
The girl is obsessed with birthdays. She sings the song at least once a day. She's been looking forward to my birthday for at least a week now, and couldn't wait to open presents. One of her favorite books is "Don't Wake Up Mama!" It's about 5 little monkeys who bake a birthday cake for their Mama. When she came in to our room that morning Jake started quoting the book and she excitedly joined in as they "tiptoed past Mama sleeping." A little while later they came back with a stack of pancakes all lit with candles singing Happy Birthday "very very loudly." Rachel loved doing "just like the book." I had a wonderful day. We had a friend come and watch the kids while Jake and I snuck out to the Cheesecake Factory...SOOOO good. Our first kid free night in over a month. It was quite a treat.

8 comments:

La said...

We love "Don't wake up Mama"!! It is such a fun book. Scarlet's fav right now is "Lama Lama Mad at Mama". Yeah, that doesn't always work in my favor. :)
I am happy to hear that you got a kid free night. You look amazing!!!
p.s. I think mostly everything is more fun with kids except for like grocery shopping. :)

La said...

Oh and I love that you and Rach have the exact same smile in the present picture. Very sweet.

Melissa said...

Happy Be-lated birthday! Rachel is such a sweetie and really adores her mama. You are lucky to have such a wonderful little girl.

Glad you were able to go out without kids... that is the real present!

Maria said...

Such fun with little kids. I am glad you got a healthy and fat-free hamburger bun cake. You deserve it!

natalie said...

That is so cute of Rachel! I'm glad you had a good day. And I have to second what Lara said... most things really are more fun with kids. Bryn really likes birthdays too. She is always asking for one, but a part of me thinks she just wants cake.

Herways Go West said...

Jake told me about the adventure re-enacting the story in the book. What a fun way to celebrate mom's birthday for a 2 year old! Cute! Couldn't manage life without friends to trade babysitting!

Dan G said...

Happy Birthday Melonhead!

By the way, thank you for changing the background from that impossible to read green and blue color.

Heidi said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! Can you believe we're all grown up with kids of our own? I found a picture from elementary school I'll have to scan in for you... we are itty-bitty!! Your little boy is such a stud! What a handsome child! You look amazing! How are you feeling?

Blog Archive

Contributors