Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Mother of one, to mother of five

We're babysitting a family of four girls for about 10 days. Yes, it's definitely had its challenges and surprises. We've had everything from nightmares, accidents, to calling poison control. Everyone is safe, healthy and happy though so I think we're doing a pretty good job. On Monday Jake had off of work and he helped me tremendously. We had their homework and chores done and dinner ready by 4:30. We're almost too good! :) I'm getting a little more used to a loud house and it has had a few luxuries as well. We got Conference on Dish network (although I think we only got to hear 3 or 4 talks) and we get the newspaper. Rachel has had quite an adjustment to the sharing thing. She fits right in with all their energy however. She's picked up more vocabulary as well, including "MINE" which I hate, and is also funny because none of it is hers. Her and the other Rachel have a love hate relationship and it can get difficult in disciplining because they're not sure who we're talking about, they both call each other Rachel Herway. Rachel is also liking all the new toys, the swingset in the backyard and the food that I don't typically buy, like "green cheerios" (applejacks). It's been a lot of fun.

8 comments:

La said...

Rachel's hair is getting so long.She gets prettier and prettier. Whats the plan for her 2nd birthday?
Dan and I babysat a family of four when Daphne was 18 months old. It was an interesting experience. :}
I think I might have an idea of what you are going through. Best of luck!!

Herways Go West said...

Rachel looks like the Queen in her pink kid-sized chair. The big advantage of babysitting will be that your friend will owe YOU! Blood for blood I used to say. Hang in there!

natalie said...

Oh wow. That is a ton of kids. Love that pic of Rachel right in front of the TV for conference.
I bet Rachel is having tons of fun with all those friends around to entertain her!

kenders said...

Talk about 1 to 5 overnight! That's quite a difference. But I'm sure you are doing it well. :)

Colie said...

What a party your house must be with all of those girls! It's funny how quickly kids learn, and I bet Rachel is just lovin' it. Thanks for the photos!

Kristen said...

And now you have become my hero. Honestly I think I would have gone insane, especially since it looks like you are at their house and not in your comfort zone.
By the way, I am glad we are back in shorts weather instead of coats like last weekend, I realized how much I do like the warmth.

Heidi said...

Wow, four girls for ten days! We've been babysitting 3 girls for 4 days and I'm already pooped! I definitely admire you! Poison control? Aah!

akdoxey said...

I totally understand the importance in building a family one child at a time after having a similar experience.

Blog Archive

Contributors