Friday, September 23, 2016

Loire Valley Bike Trip

Jake and I had a fantastic getaway to enjoy the countryside of France.  We trained to Tours with a transfer in Paris.  I was told we did not have enough time in between to see Paris.  I know I've seen it, but still such a shame to be there and not see it!  But looking at the time on the metro, Jake figured we could make a quick hop up.  So we chose a random stop and VOILA, the Notre Dame!  I was so happy!!

...and a quick crepe
We still made it early to catch our next train, so we started asking if there was a place nearby that we could catch a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower, and we found it!  So fun.
We picked up our bikes in Tours and explored this town a little

We read in a tour book that Joan of Arc suited up in armor here in Tour before heading out to battle

St. Martin Basilica
We had a great start to our bike journey.  The seat felt comfortable and the pedaling easy, so I felt overly ambitious to add another chateau with famous gardens.  Little did we know how much difficulty we would encounter following the signs.  It didn't take us long to turn back around and get back to our original route but even then we somehow detoured off.  Once we got back on our path the scenery was beautiful.


25 or so miles later we made it to Amboise.  My legs were burning like I have never felt before!  I could barely stand up.  I massaged and stretched them all evening because I knew we had a lot more riding the next day and I didn't want to be sore.
We stayed in Amboise for 2 nights and really enjoyed this town.

On our hike to the top of the hill we loved seeing these houses built into the mountain



All my stretching must have worked, because I wasn't sore at all!  I did however have a minor casualty falling off my bike this morning.  I was lucky and only came away with a few scrapes and a bruise, but it hurt!

A big part of this days ride was through a forest

Chateau Chenonceau
 View from the chateau

Could you imagine...

Touring the inside was interesting.  I enjoyed the audio guide and the story behind it the most on this one.  But the most impressive was just how this is built over the river.

We made it back to Amboise with some time to see Clos Luce, which is where Leonardo da Vinci spent the last years of his life.  It was fascinating to learn more about him and see his many inventions, and sketches







Seriously, it doesn't get any better

Ambrosia from the bridge





I really like horses

He really likes churches

Next stop: Chateau Chaumont

As we were riding this morning we came to the realization that we had been in France for 3 days without visiting a bakery

We repented




 Detail on the floor, wall, and ceiling.  Unbelievable.



Another great tour.  I found the story and rivalry of Catherine de Medici and Diane de Poitiers very intriguing.

Rear side of Chaumont



We found this vending machine on the side of the rode in a random village.  We thought it was the funniest thing.  At the same time, we would love one of these in America ;)

 We had to go a little off the beaten path (a busier street with cars) to get to our next stop, which was a chateau/bed and breakfast in a town called Celletes.  I kind of lost it when we were only a few hundred feet away from our destination and it was a steep curved hill with no sidewalk and big, loud trucks were speeding past.  Jake was understanding and found a back way for us to sneak in.
 It was a charming place to stay.  We felt like royalty for a night.
 Dinner and breakfast in the sunroom was fantastic!!
 The final Chateau we planned to visit was Chateau de Chambord (have you noticed how all of them start with Ch.  It was hard to keep them straight.  This one was by far the largest and most intricate.  440 rooms!
 Fun double spiral staircase designed by da Vinci







 A little NJ Bike Tour advertising :)


 I loved the wildflowers
 I loved the variety of scenery from the small towns to the vineyard, forests, farms, rivers...so fun to see so much of France that one doesn't often get to see.

Final destination: Blois
 It rained several times on our trip, but we were really lucky and always had a place to take cover.  It was only on the last 5 miles of our ride that we got caught in it.  But we were prepared, we were actually expecting this for most the trip (according to the weather forecast) so we were happy to use the ponchos we brought.
Roughly 100 miles and I felt good, happy to be done, had a fabulous trip and I couldn't wait to go see my kiddos.  But first, a celebratory pastry...or two :)  Well deserved.

1 comment:

Herways Go West said...

It really is a fun bike trip. Hats off to Seth for paving the way and raving so much about it that several of us have now done it. Glad you could go. What was your other option? Oh yeah, Prague. Hard to decide, but the bike trip is really unique.

Blog Archive

Contributors