Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Frozen in the East

Elsa needs to give us a little love here in the East :)  What a winter it's been!  We were home bound again today because of an ice storm.  We had a snow day on Monday with about 8 inches of snow.  School was delayed yesterday and I'm not holding my breath for tomorrow with the freezing temperatures tonight.  We've had 4 1/2 days of school cancelled so far (so long spring break).  We have another snowstorm coming this weekend.  There are LOTS of people without power and I'm so grateful we still have ours.  There have been a lot of complaints about the weather.  It's been the coldest weather in 20+ years with several days in the single digits.  I was a little grumpy this morning about it but for the most part I have been really loving the snow and enjoying the time with my kids.

This was two days ago (I should have taken a picture of the same tree branch today covered in icicles and broken down...this morning I woke up to what sounded like popcorn popping with all the tree branches falling)
 It is seriously beautiful
  We built a pretty awesome igloo
Jake dug a hole through a giant snowball to make the tunnel entrance
 The kids thought it was the coolest thing ever


And here are some random happenings from this past month:

One of Rachel's New Year's resolutions was to learn to play the harmonica.  Within a couple of days she was playing like a pro.  She can play O Suzanna and Amazing Grace and a couple other songs.  Seriously amazing.
She never ceases to impress...this is a poem she wrote one day after church.
 
 I really love this girl

One day Tommy decided that his stuffed monkey was going to have a birthday.  He counted down for like 15 days for it.  He sure makes life fun!  He has such a big heart, is always first to share or give you the last piece of his treat.  He has been loving his daddy's bedtime stories and it is so fun to watch him listen as if he is in that world and he can retell them with practically every detail.
 He has taken an interest in football after watching the 49ers with Grandpa





Kate started a dance class!  She was super excited, but she sat in the front and watched for the entire first class, and almost the entire second class.  I was just about to throw in the towel.  I told her we needed to go and she then told me to go and then got up and participated and was all smiles after that.  She loves it and is super cute!

Statue of Liberty!
We have read lots of books with all our time indoors.  At least she was dressed...most days she never makes it out of her pjs :)
This three year old can sure whine, cry, and tantrum but she is a cute ball of fun too. 
Lily has found her toes!

She hasn't taken too much interest in toys yet...

because she LOVES her hands.  We may have our first thumb sucker, but she can't decide.

What is it about that smile?  It's so powerful!  It can melt any anger, frustration, sadness or worry away.  It says, "I love you Mommy and you make me happy."  I can't get enough of her!!

We've been trying to work on her rolling over skills.  She has done it twice in the last week, but how can she learn when she is being held all the time?

She is surviving the cold just fine :)
Another reason this has been a great winter so far is all the visitors we have had.  My dad came into town with a business trip he had out east

Grammie was here for a couple days on her layover out to Utah
and we made a fun trip to a children's museum


Our last visitor was Jeremy.  A mission companion of Jake's.  These three served/lived together for a while (I forgot where) and Bobby is now even in our ward.  Jeremy is from and lives in England.  My kids love his accent and he was a great playmate for them this weekend.


My kids have been spoiled with candy and chocolate.  They honestly don't know how good they have it.

Anyway, just a few more
I've lost track of how many times it has snowed, but it hasn't gotten old for these kids.
We have been playing LOTS of games too.
and (congrats for making it to the end) did you know that I only took a total of six pictures last January...ha, what a difference!

4 comments:

Herways Go West said...

I loved being with your family for a week-end. And quite glad I made it before the snow came...we did have that one day of snow but it melted fast. Definitely an eventful January. Love that Katie is enjoying her dance, she looks too cute. The ice igloo is awesome.

La said...

You guys have had a much snowier year than us! However, we are supposed to get loads this weekend. (4 feet in the mountains! but hardly any down in the valley) I am sure the snow is coming for you to ski in paradise!

natalie said...

That igloo is amazing! I am so super impressed and slightly jealous as that was always a dream of mine as a kid! There are some really great pictures of your kids here. Loved the little spotlight on each of them. They really are great kids.

Amy said...

We survived another January! Hooray! It looks like you guys had a great one. I can't wait to see you all. The kids have changed so much since our last get together. I love how much you guys do in the snow. Makes me want to be better about it instead of staying sheltered inside.

Blog Archive

Contributors