Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Groundhog

As mild as our winter has been, I've still had the winter blues. Every place we live has its pros and cons, lately I've found and been focusing on the cons. I really attribute it to the weather. I feel like we've been hibernating either at home or in the car, and we never see anybody. We're still new and I don't know too many indoor places to go either. I know spring will cure me as it does for all of us though, right? Fortunately, in the past week I had a few reminders of how cool it is to live here. Last Saturday we did a day trip to Philadelphia, and then this week I went to NYC twice. Once for a girl's night out goodbye party for a friend and once for the temple (long overdue!). It was all so rejuvenating for me.

Anyway, here are some random pictures of the last couple of weeks:

One of our 60 degree days (it has reminded me a lot of Charlotte! Yes, I still miss it)Cartwheels, somersaults, and running in front of Independence HallTag, you're itHis face may not show it, but Tommy really likes the Liberty bell. It was his favorite part of our trip...that and the giant chocolate cookie he got after lunch. That's even on top of the fun free playhouse we went to earlier that day.
We do try and make it outside on the "not so cold" days as well. Katelyn's loving her new realm of walking and playing with the big kids. She used to have to watch from the window because I didn't want her crawling on the cold ground. In the midst of our mundane routine we have been able to get some things checked off the list. We went to the dentist and the kids LOVED it. Tommy was hesitant to go, but then was so proud to report he didn't even cry. How could he, the place was full of cool toys and video games.Then something I've been meaning to do for a long time...a playdate with Rachel's school friends. I've felt very disconnected to Rachel's experience at school and I wanted to get to know some of the girl she talks so frequently about. There's Sophia, Jyotika, Sanjana, and Kiko...Rachel is one of two white American's in her class. They all seem to get along great. I hear from other mom's at the bus stop about lots of drama that happens in their child's class. I think we've lucked out two years in a row. Just today Rachel was telling me her favorite day of the week is Tuesday, not Friday. She likes school better than the weekend.And, I guess the groundhog did not see his shadow this year, so let's hope it's an early spring!

8 comments:

Herways Go West said...

Rach loves school more than the week-ends? WOW! That is really saying something. Good for her.
Don't get me started on spring fever just yet! But I sure know what you mean.

rach said...

Looks so fun! I agree go away winter!!!!! Fun trips that's awesome you get to do that!:) miss ya girly

Dan G said...

I love Tommy in the back of all the girls on their scooters. You are such a good mom to have Rachie's friends over. And the fact that your day trips include going to Philadelphia and NYC twice seems pretty lucky to me. Miss you all!

Dan G said...

That last comment was from me, Amy...signed is as Dan.

Katie said...

Charlotte misses you! So glad you had a few "Charlotte" days this winter!

Colie said...

Does this mean you're on the Coronado boat? :) I think everyone in our family should live there...ah...
Love the toothbrushing shot - you can tell they're going for it!

natalie said...

I want to see the liberty bell so bad! I love all the history on the east.
It's funny to see these pictures because if it were that cold here, nobody would consider playing outside. People are so wimpy here!

La said...

Philly is on the top of my list right now. I think Tommy and I must have similar taste. That makes me feel good.

Blog Archive

Contributors