Monday, December 6, 2010

Snow, it starts

Now I know I can't complain...with family and friends in Utah who have had their fair share of snow and freezing temperatures already and we only had flurries today, but winter has officially hit. I'm just not used to this! Yesterday it took my legs an hour to thaw from walking home from the subway after church. Crazy cold!! And I've been told this is nothing. I had hot apple cider for lunch, potato soup for dinner and hot chocolate for dessert :) And I'm looking into wool tights and thermal underwear...any other ideas?

Anyway, here's a few random pictures:

The cold is a lot easier to handle when there's no wind, but there is sometimes crazy wind in this city, especially where we live, being just off the Hudson river. This happened to Jake when he came out to interview for his internship 6 years ago. It's a common occurrence.On Saturday we went to a work party, where families were invited. Rachel and Lucy showed up in the same shirt. I couldn't stop laughing, it was too cute! This is the same family we did Thanksgiving with. We wish they lived closer.I really slacked on the picture taking this week. Sorry.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

I actually have advice on this. When I was doing my semester in Russia (on the border of Siberia) I wore a thin legging under my jeans, layered a couple shirts, wore a good coat, scarf, gloves, and hat and honestly I don't ever remember being cold and it was way below freezing temps a lot of the time.

Herways Go West said...

Well, we canceled Stake Conference b/c of snow this week-end. We are wimps. However, the saying is true, it's not the weather, it's the clothes. Just go out in your snow skiing gear everyday? Snow/cold is one thing But rain/cold is disaster....good luck!

Ben + Brittany Trujillo said...

You should wear tights and boots to church Mel. Then also wear socks. That is what keeps my legs warm when I go to church. Gotta love the cold.

natalie said...

This is making me laugh because I was worried hoping it would be nice for you guys when you get here but I think our "bad" is more like your "good" winter weather.
When we visit cold places I put leggings under my girls jeans. Also try to wear boots (for yourself and the kids) for some extra protection on your legs.

Colie said...

Looks like we've all been freezing cold at some point in life. My coldest was as a missionary - below freezing and outside all day. Tips: buy spandex and put that over your tights and under your pants/skirt. It's the insulating layer. For socks, don't wear too many. Just wear one really good pair. REI has some good ones that will be for sale online so just keep checking their website. Boots are a must. Then pray for spring. :)

La said...

I think being born in Idaho makes me more tolerant of cold because I think Utah is rather mild. :) I think drinking lots of hot chocolate (with extra little marshmellows) helps me get through the cold months. I drink it nearly every morning as I take my kids to school. I also take super hot baths nearly every night in the winter. Good luck and stay warm!

ephrielle said...

That is really funny. I happened to be visiting my own family in Utah when three big'ol snow storms passed through. With the last storm we high tailed it out of there and made out way back to much better weather.

Blog Archive

Contributors