Monday, August 16, 2010

Busy week

We have an awesome neighborhood here in NYC. Everyday they have some free activity for kids. There's Preschool Play Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday where they bring out a bunch of toys at a park and do stories and songs at the end. Preschool Art on Thursdays where they do a different craft each week. There's basketball and soccer too. I wish we could take advantage of the soccer more often. Unfortunately it's at 2:30 and Tommy usually sleeps from 1-4. It was cute to watch Rachel do the drills and kick the ball. She absolutely loved it and was so proud she "won" (being the first one to dribble the ball down the field.)Our first experience with craigslist in NYC didn't go so well (we got scammed out of an apartment) but we've had success with it this time around. We traded this aluminum frame...
for this aluminum frame.
We didn't really trade, we just sold the bike Monday night and I bought our new stroller Tuesday afternoon. Although Jake was really sad to say goodbye to his beautiful bike, I am really happy with this new stroller. My old double was extremely hard to push and especially turn. This strolls like a dream. I never in a million years would have paid more than a couple hundred on a stroller but it's so worth it. It really is our mode of transportation...plus we don't have to pay gas or insurance :)
It was good timing too. The next day we went to Central Park. I had no idea Central Park was so hilly...not to mention it was another one of those HOT days. I would have died pushing my old stroller. Honestly.Last week was our final swim lessons. We may sign them up again in the fall.

Rachel has made some major progress from last summer. Most of all, her confidence. She's not afraid to put her face in the water, and to try new things.

The city life seems to wear us all out. Tommy takes great naps and Rachel seems to almost need them again too. She is often falling asleep in the stroller late afternoon/evening.
Jake's parents and sister Nicole came to stay with us for a couple days on their layover out west. We had a great time with them here! We showed them our neighborhood, did the Staten Island Ferry, the Chelsea Market and Times Square. We loved hearing how much they loved our apartment and where we live. We really have a good set up here and we're really happy.

Our apartment and neighborhood right behind us

As we were walking around town on Saturday we happened upon this fire station that allowed us to come look at their fire engines and to even climb inside. Tommy heaven!! It was also neat to see their little memorial of those who were involved in the September 11 rescue effort from their station.


Thanks again for the great weekend!

10 comments:

Anna-Lisa said...

You certainly keep busy. That's great that they offer sooo many things for your kids to do.

natalie said...

I talked to Colie about her stay with you guys and she couldn't stop raving. They were very impressed and had a great time!

I love that Rachel loves soccer.
I looked into your stroller, but that was back in the day before I considered craigslist. I tried it out in the store and LOVED it but couldn't justify it. I'm sure you use yours every day and love it!

So um. Living in NYC looks like a dream! I'm glad you guys are having fun.

Ben + Brittany Trujillo said...

Wow Mel. That is a busy week, but I bet it was all worth it and looks like you had a lot of fun! It was fun to skype with you on Sunday. I can't wait to meet the new addition to your family. Love you talk to you soon.

Tom and Kari Lane said...

It is very cool that they have all that free and fun stuff for the kids. Glad you are loving it!!

Heidi said...

Wow! I can't believe all those free activities at the park, so great! NY living looks exhausting but very, very fun!

Colie said...

You DO have a great set-up. Mom, Dad & I are STILL raving about it. I want to come back! I miss you guys!

Herways Go West said...

Thank YOU for a terrific week-end. The only way it could have been any better would have been to see the new baby, but we'll be patient!
You DO have a super place. I would love it too. Still thinking about it. So great to play with the kids, see where you guys are hanging out, eat the fresh fruit from the corner stand, and party with the best of 'em, especially in the subway!
Thanks for everything. We'll be back!

Tim and Cindy Larsen said...

My friend hast that same stroller and loves it! So glad things are getting better and what a great place to live! Hope all goes well with the new little sweetie coming soon! sometime email me your strawberry jam recipe too..... delicious!

Amy said...

Looks awesome! All of it. Wish we were neighbors.

La said...

Rach and Tommy are looking so grown up. I wish we could visit you guys in NYC. It really looks super fun. (And congrats on your new stroller. Totally worth the $$)

Blog Archive

Contributors