Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Here's to 5 years

Here's our amazing beachfront condo we got at the absolute LAST minute for a killer deal. It was so fun to sleep to the sound of the waves.Hilton Head beach is really unique with their hard packed sand. You wouldn't believe how fun it is to ride along the waves! We wanted to ride the full length of the island, which is 12 miles, but with the wind resistance and our sore bottoms we probably did more like 8 or 9. We even got to ride along with dolphins that were swimming only about 15 feet out. So cool!By the way, these are my new glasses. Turns out I'm going blind...I had no idea!! I thought I had good eye sight. I went to the doctor about some headaches and after ruling everything else out we did an eye exam. My left eye is really poor. Astigmatism (sp?). I'm still not sure how I like them and I'm still trying to get used to them. I picked these pair out, with two kids destroying the place and a wall of 1000s of frames...a bit overwhelming. Jake however thinks they've made me smarter :) and he likes the new look.Funny story (well, it gave us a good laugh): We bought a kite and tried to fly it on Friday, with no success. We go back to the condo and googled, "how to fly a kite." Pathetic, I know. So we watched a you tube video telling us how easy it is and then learned all about the "towing point" and came to the conclusion we just needed to make it higher. So Saturday we took it out with all confidence, and then spent over an hour trying to get it to fly. Adding to our frustration was how "easy" it was suppose to be and about 50 feet away a 6 year old got her Hello Kitty kite up with no problem. We finally decided to ask the Hello Kitty family. Her dad turned our kites frame around and what do you know. We got it up on our first try after that.To finish off the weekend we went kayaking, which is a lot of fun. We didn't get to see any dolphins, but we did see a sting ray and a pelican. I also enjoyed really getting into the rhythm of the rowing.
The first day we were relaxing on the beach we reminisced about all that has happened in our past five years: from our summer jobs of Window washing and MyFamily.com, graduating from BYU, getting scammed our summer in New York, having Rachel, to moving here to Charlotte, buying a house, switching groups within Wachovia, Tommy and many other adventures in between. On our drive home we considered what's in store for the next five years. Another kid? Maybe two? Another car? Another job? Another house? Who knows! But we'll keep enjoying the journey whatever life brings us.

12 comments:

La said...

Happy 5th! I would love to ride my bike on the beach.

Anonymous said...

Mel, I love the new frames! Jake's right, they do make you look smarter. I'm glad you guys were able to squeeze in some fun. I'm constantly worried that my eye sight is going to fail...I figure it is only a matter of time, I'm next in line :S

Maria said...

That is a great way to celebrate 5 years. I love the glasses and am jealous of all you got to do. I miss the warm beach!

Amy said...

It all sounds so delightful. Seriously...what would I give to know that there was no way a baby would wake me up in the night cause he was miles away! Ahhh...and the sound of waves is one of my all time favs. You look great and I can't wait to spend time with you and Jake in a month!

Katie said...

Mel, I'm so glad that you got to go! It looks like you guys had a great time. It was fun to see you guys tonight! I meant to tell you that your glasses are so cute! You look darling in them!!!

Erin Mason said...

Elder Herway! It's been almost 7 years since we served in Renens, and I found your blog tonight via Forrest White. You have an awesome family!

I'm glad I found this as I often wonder how life's going for you and other Geneva friends.

Send me an e-mail, jmasonfamily@gmail.com, and I'll invite you to our blog! - Jon Mason

Herways Go West said...

Oh, I want to do the bikes on the beach! That trip looks like a great 5 year anniversary celebration. And you DO look very smart, probably b/c you are. It is fun to look back and to look ahead. Life!

Kristen said...

I have to admit I think the bikes on the beach and the pictures to prove it are great! Too bad I will have a newborn for our 5 year right!

Anna-Lisa said...

I can't believe it's been 5 years! That's crazy, it looks like you had a blast on your trip though. What fun, and I know you will always continue having fun!

w and w said...

So you recommend it huh? Will and I were wondering where we'd head for our summer getaway. After the baby of course, but just in time for the anniversary. How'd you get the killer deals. I'll have to call you! Happy 5th. And, yes we need to hook up again.

Mindy said...

Congrats on 5 years! Your anniversary trip sounds like it was awesome; fun and relaxing. Isn't it neat to wonder what will happen in the next 5 years? Andy and I like to do that, too. We hope it gets better and better for you guys!

Cam and Ali said...

So you get back from traveling the world and you say to yourself, "you know, I could really use a vacation right now; lets go to the beach!" What a life!

Blog Archive

Contributors